Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Classic Zeiss Makro-Planar?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Another Classic Zeiss Makro-Planar? Reply with quote

Hello, I would like to have your opinion:
for those like me who already have the Classic Zeiss 2/100mm Makro-Planar, what advantage will there be in purchasing the Classic Zeiss 2/50mm Makro-Planar? Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Atelier Cunha

Closer focus distance?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome Atelier Cunha

Closer focus distance?

But is the magnification improved at all? Otherwise, no benefit seems to me. As a guy who started out with 50mm macros, I can tell you that the extremely close focusing distances achieved were often a real PITA. I much prefer the standoff achieved by longer lenses.

I can think of one exception, though. I own a few Nikkor 55mm macro lenses and one Nikkor 200mm macro. Sadly, no 100mm Nikkors, but I do have 100s in other makes. What I've noticed is, sharpness-wise, there's little difference between a 50mm and a 100mm macro. But there was a rather large difference in sharpness between the 50s and 100s I own and that 200mm Nikkor macro. It isn't exactly soft. It just doesn't have the eye-popping brilliance that the shorter focal lengths have.

Anyway, my advice to Atelier is that he should rest confident in knowing his macro is probably at least as good as a 50mm, and I wouldn't worry about getting a 50mm unless he's just after having the set.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wider angle for normal photography

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Welcome Atelier Cunha

Closer focus distance?

Hello friends,
thank you very much for the welcome votes and the opinions. I have retained the following from your words:
1. Smaller MFD; actually goes from 44cm (2/100mm) to 24cm (2/50mm). Allows greater approximation; more pronounced blur (OOF) on certain occasions (Macro or Normal).
2. Wider angle for normal (and maybe macro) photography.
3. It's a great standard lens, in addition to macro.

I would add: a smaller lens (despite stretching when focusing) and lighter.
In terms of performance, sharpness, etc, they should be similar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50mm f/2 makes a nice standard lens. 100mm f/2 makes a nice portrait lens.