Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Did Tamron give up on 400mm primes?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received a good education on this thread, thanks principally to Stephan and to Gerald. Special thanks to them. I was not as aware, prior, of this stuff as I should have been.

Gerald pointed out, importantly, that:

"Virtually all photographic lenses manufactured in the last 100 years have one or more elements made of crown glasses."

And Stephan illustrated, also very importantly, that not all crown glass is created equal, or is the same.

Nobody has confirmed this. But I continue to believe that glass (crown or otherwise) having the strongest AD properties is more expensive than AD glass which is less effective in this regard. And the better, more expensive, lenses use the better quality glass.

One interesting series of lenses, where fringing is concerned, is the Tamron Adapt-A-Matic series. Those lenses are designed to eliminate purple fringing by accepting a certain level of red fringing. I'm not entirely clear how that tradeoff is accomplished, but it is an interesting tradeoff from a lens design standpoint. Also, I'm not aware of other lenses or lens series that shift fringing to the red side.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I just stumbled across this thread after a Google search Smile
I recently found a Tamron 65B on a German customs office auction site, and ended up getting it for about 400€, which is 490$. Looking for less popular auction sites, or even shopping locally, can really help you out.
It was an impulse purchase due to the price, but I'm happy so far.

It's a niche lens though, very heavy. I can hand-hold it, and can get sharp images down to 1/250 using a Pentax K-3 ii with its IBIS (840mm FF equivalent with 1.4x Teleconverter), but after a minute it really starts to strain my hand.

Results are decent wide open and great one stop down, but honestly, unless you're a bit insane like me, I would go for a different option.
Before I was using an old Sigma DL 70-300mm as my telephoto lens, and while the image rendition is not as good, it's far, far lighter and easier to use.
If you get a good modern 300mm zoom or prime and add a TC, you'll probably get very close to or match the IQ of the Tamron 65B. Modern cameras have very good high ISO performance, so F/5.6 or F/8 should be good enough in most cases.

I picked it because I try to use a limited budget, don't mind manual focus, and like odd lenses Razz

If you can find a 65B (or 60B, for that matter), you probably won't be disappointed, just be aware that it's for a very specific user.

Here's a sample of one of the first images I took with mine, with 1.4x Tamron TC, probably F/5.6 (F/8 ) :

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mampfer wrote:

. . .
I picked it because I try to use a limited budget, don't mind manual focus, and like odd lenses Razz
. . .

Greetings, mampfer. I think you're going to feel right at home here. Smile
I'd also be happy to grab a 65B - if it would match my own meager budget.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid really long lenses because of their limited use for me compared to cost. (and cheap ones usually aren't very good) This lens should probably be shot with a monopod at least and attached to a sling strap when carrying it for any amount of time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past two years, Tamron has released only two lenses in their 400mm primes line: the SP 400mm F2.8 Di VC USD and the SP 400mm F4 G OIS. This has caused some to speculate that the company has given up on this market, so you can visit https://www.bestessaytips.com/review_essay.php to manage your complex tasks. However, Tamron has confirmed that they are still committed to this line, and they have just released the SP 400mm F5.6 Di VC USD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spamron

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1