Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Pancolar 50mm/f1.8 Zebra aperture access problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Pancolar 50mm/f1.8 Zebra aperture access problems Reply with quote

Hi,

first of, I'm absolutely new here, so I hope this is the right forum etc. :)

I have a CZJ Pancolar 50mm/f1.8 Zebra, fairly beat up, and I am want to get front access to the aperture in order to give it a good cleaning. While rear access is trivial, I'm struggling to figure out how to access the front.

So far I have tried:
- Spanner wrench. I get the front element, but there's still more glass between me and the aperture then, and I found no obvious way to proceed.
- Seeing that other CZJ lenses have more access hidden behind name plate, I tried rubber wrench to remove it. No luck.
- Removing the back and seeing if there is some obvious-although-obscure way of releasing the front elements. That was a long shot, and as expected, the answer is "no".

What is the access method so that I can remove all glass in front of the aperture? Is there actually something behind the front nameplate afterall?

This is the front of the lens: http://imgur.com/a/8xXi0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the same lens, but are you sure you can t go further after removing the first lens from the front?

Take a look at around 6.20 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5GMEHeDwn8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen that video, but the front is very different. It is not clear to me at all what holds the second glass element, but there are no dots for a spanner wrench -- after I remove the front element, the inner wall goes straight "down" (along the axis of the lens).

The lens is pretty beat up tho, so the name plate might be the way, and just needs a lot more force. Before going drastic brute force path, I feel like I should have some confirmation:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting pictures of your lens might help

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I realize now the imgur picture in the first post was not terribly descriptive of the lens as a whole:) Here is a more holistic view of the Pancolar:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think.....the front just screws off. Grip the aperture ring in one hand and try to unscrew the front. A lot of Zeiss lenses come apart this way, and they are only hand tight.

Behind that, the glass is removed with a lens spanner in the slots.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, thank you so much! Access from here on looks trivial. This also explains some of the damage on the lens body (not in picture) -- it looks like marks from an over-tight heavy duty vise when someone first tried to unscrew this.

Just for posterity, since this forum is such a wonderful resource, this is what it looks like after unscrewing the front. It does not remove the whole front element, but it does remove the front name plate which covers the further access.