Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

AI?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: AI? Reply with quote

Can someone explain for me what it means? I see lots of discussion about Nikon and Nikkor, with various designation letters, and it all means nothing to me I'm afraid.
I've never held a Nikon camera and only touched a Nikon lens for the first time last week when Carsten allowed me to try his 24 and 85mm lenses. And I have to say I was highly impressed. Due to the register distances and swapability, I've always owned only M42 and PK lenses and cameras, so I was never tempted by Nikon. I can't use Nikon lenses on any of my film cameras, but I might be tempted to buy one for the Canon.

What should I look for? Confused

Ta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

start here for the nomenclature and then, go here, scroll down to the bottom for navigation links for specific Nikkor lenses by focal length, and read up.

But in brief, Ai stands for aperture indexing and is a set of mechanical ridges near the lens mount that communicates the focal length and aperture to the camera. AiS is a slight improvement that most cameras don't take full advantage of, but is fully Ai compatible. Pre-ai is a neologism to describe the older lenses before AI came out. They don't mount on many newer Nikon cameras (except the D40/D40x and D60).

As to which features communicate with Nikon-to-EOS adapterts, I wil let someone else deal with that part.

Sometimes an AiS lens is sen as better because of some other improvement (better coating, closer focus distance, etc) that was introduced at the same time for that model. But it depends on the specific model of lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: AI? Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
... last week when Carsten allowed me to try his 24 and 85mm lenses. And I have to say I was highly impressed...

Perhaps it was good that you did not have enough time, otherwise you would have shot with the Nikkor-S.C 1.2/55 and the Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/35 as well. Then you would be looking for even more lenses and I would be in trouble with Christine. Laughing Wink
Perhaps next time. Very Happy

peterqd wrote:
What should I look for? Confused

I think almost any Nikkor lens will satisfy your needs. These are great lenses. Since you have the Flek 20 already, you don't need the Nikkor UD20. I would recommend to keep your eyes peeled for a nice Nikkor 2.8/24 (the one you were shooting with), since this lens would provide the angle of almost a classical 35mm lens.
A 50mm Nikkor also would be nice. The 1.4/50 is said to be a fantastic lens.
And if you have the chance to get a Nikkor 1.8/85 for a reasonable price, do not hesitate.

peterqd wrote:
Ta

I haven't heard that for quite a while. Oh, sweet memories!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. So I take it any Nikkor lens can be used on my 400D with a Nikon>EOS adapter, that's good news.

Now I have to work out which lenses I'd like, there are SO many!! I'm not really interested in ~50 lenses, at this stage anyway. I think you're right Carsten, the 24 and 85 would be great ones to start off with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick, Peter!

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens going generally around 100 GBP and best 24mm lens what I ever had, razor sharp with beautiful color rendering.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
the 24 and 85 would be great ones to start off with.

Please see my post in MFL Club.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you think about Nikkor 85/2 AI? Is it comparable with Jupiter-9 85/2, or better ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, same level not worst not better. I prefer Nikkor 85mm f1.8 above this lens even if non-ai.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I haven't bought a Nikkor 85 yet but Carsten allowed me to take some pics with his, and I was HIGHLY impressed. I do have the J9, it's a very nice sharp lens with traditional Russian colour richness, a bit awkward to use because the stopdown ring on mine is stiff and too close to the aperture ring, but its Achilles' heel is the strange bokeh on some shots.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Yes, same level not worst not better. I prefer Nikkor 85mm f1.8 above this lens even if non-ai.

Then have you ever compared the pancolar 1.8/80 with the Nikkor 85/f1.8 ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see samples with all lenses in mflenses.com/gallery.I rate highest Pancolar 80mm f1.8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You can see samples with all lenses in mflenses.com/gallery.I rate highest Pancolar 80mm f1.8

I trust your verdict, but I find it hard to believe that any lens can be considerably better than the Nikkor 1.8/85, in some parts perhaps, but overall? I doubt that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try one times Pancolar 80mm you never take again Nikkor 80mm
I am sure. I had 80mm f2, 80mm f1.8 Nikkor I sold them and bought many Pancolar much as I can.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Try one times Pancolar 80mm you never take again Nikkor 80mm
I am sure. I had 80mm f2, 80mm f1.8 Nikkor I sold them and bought many Pancolar much as I can.

Yeah but for those prices, the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 or the Zeiss Planar 85mm f/1.4 are also in comparison, no?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, right. Pancolar 80mm f1.8 I beleive same good than those 1.4 lenses. One times I will compare them, price level is same.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-153.html

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mflenses.com/nikon-nikkor-2-85mm-lens-review-5.html

Embarassed I rated in the past as same good than 85mm f1.8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also put the 85/2 in similar league as the 1.8.

Very Happy Very Happy patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know the 1.8/85, but I have talked to a Nikon collector at the last Solms camera fair and he told me that there was a considerable difference between the 1.8/85 and the 2.0/85.
But I guess it is as we oftan have said: the 1.8/85 provides 95% of a perfect lens and the 2.0/85 "only" 93%. You know what I mean. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'considerable difference' is going to vary from person to person by a considerable difference. Very Happy