Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5 Reply with quote

I have decided to contribute to this forum as and when I can

The more sample images available to other forum members the better as everyone can see the benefits/drawbacks of these MF lenses

One of the Lancashire Boilers at the Ellesmere Boat Museum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great picture Mark, and it shows just why the Tokina is such a good lens - there's minimal distortion for such a wide lens, and it's sharp - what more do you want ? I love mine, it's probably my most used lens on my A6000.

I want to come up to the Ellesmere Museum, it's not far from me here in Ironbridge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
It's probably my most used lens on my A6000.

Me too! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for sharing this impressive picture!
Here is my contribution with a shot from last weekend.
Oly E-P5, ISO500

Dachs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the summer? great opportunity to use the 17mm Tokina.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Remember the summer? great opportunity to use the 17mm Tokina.

I absolutely love this shot.

How would this Tokina compare to the Tamron 17/3.5? Also, can I safely assume that this Tokina is identical to the Tokina-made Vivitar 17/3.5?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my 17mm a lot too, although I tend to use the Tokina 20-35 more often when I only want to carry one lens, or just that lens on camera and a fifty in my pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:

How would this Tokina compare to the Tamron 17/3.5? Also, can I safely assume that this Tokina is identical to the Tokina-made Vivitar 17/3.5?

The Vivitar is indeed a Tokina lens, you can check the serial number, it should start with 37.

I have both the Tamron and the Tokina, the Tamron is the better lens but it's pictures have a bit of a "clinical" look. The Tokina somehow has more appeal. Just my opinion though, i can't really say what makes the difference, it just feels that way to me.
Tokina's can have some kind of defect like decentering. You'll notice when you start pixel peeping on a full-frame shot.

My thread on the Tokina with a discussion about the difference in sharpness on the left and right side:
http://forum.mflenses.com/rmc-tokina-3-5-17-on-sony-a7-t73884,highlight,%2Btokina.html

Some samples i made with the Tamron SP 17mm : https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=81437390%40N03&sort=date-taken-desc&text=tamron%2017mm&view_all=1

Lloydy : That E-type is awesome!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good day at this classic car show back in the summer, I walked around with a few lenses in a bag but only used the Tokina 17 on the Sony A6000, because it's perfect for the job. I like to get a low angle shot, so the Sony is perfect using the screen to focus, the Tokina is wide so I can get in close, probably less than two meters to the closest point. I shoot at f8 to get the depth. The distortion is minimal, the colours are excellent - what's not to like? And it's good for getting in real close for detail work as well.

I've done a fair bit of processing on these pictures, but not to overcome any shortcoming of the lens. Just to clone out unwanted reflections and clutter like people in the background of the cars and reflections of people in the paint of the truck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite lenses, corner sharpness is pretty bad but overall look is great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The corner sharpness isn't bad, not bad enough to ruin the image.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina 17 on Sony A7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfhansen wrote:
The Tokina 17 on Sony A7

Excellent image, which really shows just how good this lens is. and the corners look OK as well. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The corner sharpness isn't bad, not bad enough to ruin the image.

Mostly in the extreme corners, so a bit of crop, or a crop sensor sorts it out.