Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Have I missed something??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Have I missed something?? Reply with quote

I just sold an immaculate Canon A1 with a 50mm f1.8. From time of payment (10pm) it was in the buyers hand in under 36 hours, so you would think that that would be considered a successfully conducted sale.

NO! I get this on the feedback "one minor issue fixed"

I message the buyer and ask what the issue is that he has fixed , he say's that the lens was set to A.
I replied...

Hi, I hope you don't mind me saying so, but your feedback comment implies that there was a problem (one minor issue fixed, "when the lens was set to A") I do not know how that was a problem caused by me, but, this will affect the way people view my overall feedback. I feel that you received a fantastic item, very well packaged and delivered in the fastest time possible. Ordered 10.12 pm 31st Jan Tuesday night, received Thursday lunchtime 12.12 pm 2nd Feb (just over 36 hours!!, incredibly fast).

I cannot see a fault or problem with the product or service you received and am very disappointed that you did not choose to appreciate this in your feedback. Perhaps you would consider editing that feedback to reflect the lengths I went to to give you a great eBay experience. I do not know what people expect, but it dose not encourage sellers to try as hard as they possibly can and not have that effort acknowledged.

Kind regards

Steve.

I then get this...

Steve i can see your point of view in some respect but if i wasnt such a hands on person i would of stated the item was faulty and then returned it however i didnt i decided to investigate it before

Most buyer would of said its faulty not as described etc etc i agree it is excellent and there for i have given you a positive feedback with all stars ticked not effecting your feedback whatsoever

Therefor what is your problem

I then reply...

Hi again,when you say "when the lens was set to A" what exactly do you mean? I cannot understand how that is a fault when it is just a setting that can be changed? Sorry, but I try hard and if there is a fault i will rectify it. In this case I cannot see a fault.

I finally got this back...

Hi Steve you have to put the lens on A for the program functions to work otherwise it only function in Manual mode, this fault could potentially be a sensor which cost about £100 to repair

so for instance I could set the camera to Full auto or lets say TV mode shutter priority but the aperture would only be at what I had manually put the aperture on. AV mode again would only be on what the lens was actually set on so that for this camera makes it a major fault

I believe good in all people so I thought ok you said it was working when you sent it, but when it was delivered the lens was set manually not on A as soon as I did this there was a fault

so I tried the normal resetting mode which did not sort it so trying a combination of all the buttons to re set it and still no response i'm into thinking you may of known this at that's why the camera lens is not set on A or you were not aware of this fault

now I will try and fix anything before I give in defeated so I investigated the fault as you do via google but they said it was the sensor so now i'm thinking ive been duped and I 'm going to have to confront you, but I don't give up somebody made the thing so I can fix it therefor I logically go through what might be the issue and luckily I believe I have found the issue

I will wait a while see what happens and then share this so others can sort this issue when it occurs on there camera rather than get a sensor fitted

now you've made me write a book lol anyway Steve it works, I love it and am going to use the images from it to gain a distinction with the RPS as a journey through time from A1 to 5D.

I would buy from you again

So, what do you think of all that? I'm not going mad am I?? I mean... Have I missed something? is there something I stupidly don't know about the A1 and FD system? I'm genuinely intrigued so would greatly appreciate some input here.

HELP...

Steve.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the A1 I sold you, there's nothing wrong with it at all. The buyer is being a ****

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Dave its not that one mate, that's a forever keeper.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's still a ****, it's a setting of the camera.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sell long enough you encounter all kinds of people...

Once, may be three years ago, I sold a beautiful nFD 17/4. It was purchased, I am fairly certain, by the wife of a person many advanced amateur photographers are familiar with. I won't name the name, but it's the same as a defunct Japanese camera brand. Then, a week or so after the lens is delivered I receive a return request, because "aperture is not working". I know damn well that it does, so I politely inquire if the buyer is familiar with the operation of FD lenses. "I have multiple FD lenses, I know how they work" is the reply. So what can I do - I take it back. Then, the day the lens is out on the delivery truck, the case gets escalated, she wants her money back, now. I say "look, be reasonable - I need to get the lens back first, it's not here yet", and in fact the lens is not here, it only gets delivered the next day. But she will have none of it, the case gets processed on the spot, and the money is removed from my account. The box arrives the next day, luckily the lens is there, it's the same lens and it's intact. Aperture works, of course. I put it back on ebay, sell within a week or so, and the customer seems to like it just fine

Last edited by Gardener on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay crucifies its sellers and does not care about them one jot.
All this talk about ebay seller protection is complete bunkum.
Buyers are a protected species under ebay while the sellers are there to be used and abused.
How much tax did ebay, or its proxy - paypal - pay in your country last year?
Both of these institutions are true parasites.
In case you might have missed it, I am not a fan of ebay.
T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This buyer is nothing less than a total p***k, I would block him from bidding on items you may list in the future, very easy to do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sold me a broken car, it's in 2nd gear when it should be in first gear!
Sigh....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only buy there, never ever will I sell there...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
same here!

Luckily out of many buy transactions for me only about 1-2% have had problems.. but being the buyer I have all the power.

I have come across some very nice honest people too .. 3 months ago I won an auction for a Wollensack 50/1.5 that seller said optics clear and lens excellent.. Well, the rear element was fungus-ed and hazed over.. Rolling Eyes I took out the element and cleaned it fairly easily myself however but sent him a friendly note that stated there was fungus but i took care of it myself (i sent him a pic too).. I wasn't asking for anything in return but he was extremely apologetic and felt bad.. He said you seem to be good at repairing these things and I have a Kern-Palliard 100mm f/3.3 Yvar AR which doesn't focus that I'll send you for free.. took me about 5 minutes to figure out and fix.. 2 lenses for the price of one feeds my addiction nicely...so I was happy..

--mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking along these very same lines. Until I tried to sell on Amazon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Until I tried to sell on Amazon.

Would you share your experience with Amazon?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Gardener wrote:
Until I tried to sell on Amazon.

Would you share your experience with Amazon?

The reason to sell on Amazon is because certain things sell there for much higher prices than on ebay. But it's a scary place - returns are rampant, their fees are at times higher than ebay+paypal combined, and then there are professional swindlers who scan listings for stuff they can AtoZ - which is the part where they get to keep both the money and the goods. You can't sell certain things, your listings are not yours, that is if you create a brand new listing anyone can tack onto it and underbid you - if you wonder why someone would sell a set like this that's exactly the reason. And it just goes on and on. Just look at their seller forums to get a taste.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
The reason to sell on Amazon is because certain things sell there for much higher prices than on ebay. But it's a scary place - returns are rampant, their fees are at times higher than ebay+paypal combined, and then there are professional swindlers who scan listings for stuff they can AtoZ - which is the part where they get to keep both the money and the goods. You can't sell certain things, your listings are not yours, that is if you create a brand new listing anyone can tack onto it and underbid you - if you wonder why someone would sell a set like this that's exactly the reason. And it just goes on and on. Just look at their seller forums to get a taste.

Thank you. I think I won't try it. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying you should not try it, but you need to be acutely aware that it comes with its own set of pitfalls and it's different from ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I have had enough of it now, I'll just let the remaining stuff go on for a couple more months and whats not sold goes to charity,F**k it!. Recently ebay kindly sent me a message saying that my seller standards level is 'below standard' guess what for? I had some one click buy it now on an item, they were in Malaysia had zero feedback and had joined eBay that day more or less. I issued a refund and cancelled the sale. That means I am below standard?? I state UK only sales and bidders/buyers must have a feedback score of more than five, but that seems to go out the window as that has happened two or three times now.

This latest prat is I think, barking mad or on drugs or something, how should I phrase my final response do you think. I don't like leaving myself open to a chargeback later on from PayPal. I may say something like...

If you are not 100% certain that the items I sold you are in excellent condition and working as they should and as described, then please return them for a refund now. Alternatively please reply to this message stating that you are happy that all items are as described and working as they should and have no pre-existing faults, imagined or otherwise.

I've tidied up my workshop today and now feel a bit calmer, I will take beer into this now organised and spotless haven for men and read the opperating manual for my Elu flipsaw which I have had for donkeys years. I found it amongst some old crap in mint condition,so never read it Rolling Eyes I bet I learn loads about this old friend.

Might even light a bonfire, sod it Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to set a list of countries you do not ship to in your seller profile. As to the zero feedback - nothing you can do about that, but frankly I've never had a problem with a buyer like that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I was beginning to think this was the only way forward so I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. eBay is eBay: it doesn't filter buyers based on their intelligence art their knowledge of a subject out the items they sell. I recently sent a seller an email pointing pout a mistake in his/her listing, that if corrected could actually net them a higher price. Instead ofd thanks I got back abuse.

Ho-hum, time to open up a nice bottle of wine and relax....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I want to say I'm dumbfounded, but then I recall --

You can't fix stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should all make more use of the MFL Marketplace, fair prices and terms for everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What on earth is this buyer talking about. I am so confused. So next time ask the buyer with what settings he wants the camera to arrive? Lmao Laugh 1

Strange!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough, I heard a similar tale of woe at the Camera Fair yesterday from one of the long time reputable dealers. He'd sold a complex high end film camera through ebay, in perfect working order, and the buyer complained about it "not working correctly" and demanded a refund. After a few emails were exchanged it became obvious the buyer had no idea how to use the camera, and had no intention of learning. The end result was ebay sided 100% with the buyer, and the dealer had to refund.

It was the final straw for the dealer, he's stopped selling on ebay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would send a *really* friendly sounding message that says that you shipped something that you know works 100% and you personally tested it and that it sounds like perhaps the buyer is not fully aware of the functions of the product. Link them to an owner's manual online or something.

This guy sounds like a real dipshit, But, sometimes people are so dumb or uninformed, that they come across as angry when you read their messages. Sometimes you just need to hold their hands a little. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next sale, :
Very good condition lens, bargain price as I have used the best-in-the market super glue to stick it on A mode so you will never need to change the settings Smile.

Honestly as already mentioned; eBay has zero care for sellers. I sold a rare large format lens to someone who didn't like it and wanted a full refund. I looked at the feedback and refuded £200 before receiving the lens. I got nothing from eBay and at the end he branded me "stupid" and said "don't you love diversity" Smile

I think there should be a shared list of sellers/buyers accounts to avoid dealing with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

I not even buy there - I followed this rule with two minor exceptions which i could justifiy (renowned professional dealers from Honkong and Germany). I do not even sell any more in German photography forums. It's simply annoying, and i decided it's not worth the time spent.
The double/triple items with little value (<20 CHF) i usually give away fro free; some more "expensive" stuff i personally sell among friends here in Switzerland. Much more fun and no problems so far Wink

Stephan