Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina RMC 400mm f5.6 - Moon Shot - new pic added 22/01/17
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Tokina RMC 400mm f5.6 - Moon Shot - new pic added 22/01/17 Reply with quote

Hi

I have decided it is time to start contributing to thi forum

Here is a sample shot from a great cheap lens in picked up from eBay - click for full size

Last edited by MarkS on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That smacked me in the eyes when I opened it! Is it really that big?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good, I like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tokina RMC 400mm f5.6 - Moon Shot Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
Hi

I have decided it is time to start contributing to thi forum

Here is a sample shot from a great cheap lens in picked up from eBay - click for full size

Shooting the moon is an irresistible temptation when you have a 400mm lens.
Nice try, but in my experience I can say that it is possible to shoot the moon in more detail with a good 135mm lens.
I could show you how, but I'm afraid of looking pretentious.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your pictures where your mouth is... so to speak. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Mark, hope you enjoy your time here, nice shot, I haven't seen much from this lens
Eddie46 wrote:
Wow! That smacked me in the eyes when I opened it! Is it really that big?

No, the actual size of the moon does very, but at the least, it might cover 1/6-1/3 of the APS-C sensor, this is my old shot with the EF400/5.6L and my NEX-7 plus a crop down to 2196 x 1462 from 24MP(6000x4000)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends where the moon is in the sky. When it is at the horizon it is much bigger as the atmosphere plays as a magnifier while when it is high in the sky, you lose the magnifying hence it is smaller (e.g.normal)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoine wrote:
Well, it depends where the moon is in the sky. When it is at the horizon it is much bigger as the atmosphere plays as a magnifier while when it is high in the sky, you lose the magnifying hence it is smaller (e.g.normal)

Well, actually no :

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/moon-illusion-explained-horizon-size-supermoon-space-science/

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/10/why-the-moon-looks-bigger-on-the-horizon/

The alleged "magnification" is strictly psychological.

Last edited by fwcetus on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tokina RMC 400mm f5.6 - Moon Shot Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:

http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20171/big_9699_DSC_0308_1.jpg

I might suggest trying to close down the aperture 1 or 2 stops, to f/11 or f/8, where the diffraction effects may be a bit less, and which will also allow you to shoot at a somewhat faster shutter speed as well. Just a suggestion...

Thanks for sharing - moon shots are always nice to see. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, it is possible to take good pictures of the moon with a 135mm lens. The main problem of using a lens with such relatively short focal length is that the image of the moon is small for the size of the pixels of a 24MP FF sensor. However, the problem can be circumvented, for example, by using one or two teleconverters. This was justly the solution adopted here.

The two teleconverters convert the 135mm lens into a 540mm lens. But make no mistake, teleconverters do no miracle. They cannot, for example, increase the intrinsic resolution of the original 135mm lens. If the lens does not have adequate resolution to begin with, the fine details will not appear in the "converted" image.

An intersting way to understand the work of the teleconverters is noting that they transform the 6μm pixels of the Sony A99 into equivalent 1.5μm pixels.

SMC Takumar 135mm F2.5 plus two 2x Komura Telemore MC-7 teleconverters on Sony A99:

I dare say that the level of detail is more or less equal to the moon picture that Lighshow obtained with a Canon EF L 400mm lens, but better than the OP image.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Another shot of the moon - diff date Reply with quote

After the 1st post of the moon I thought I would dig through my previous folders of pictures using this lens for a second picture which I knew I had that does the lens much better justice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another shot of the moon - diff date Reply with quote

MarkS wrote:
After the 1st post of the moon I thought I would dig through my previous folders of pictures using this lens for a second picture which I knew I had that does the lens much better justice

Indeed -- much better. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That image is really nice MarkS. Here's the best I've achieved with my Minolta MC-I 300mm F4.5 on my Panasonic GM1:

Cropped and edited to oblivion but it's really at its limit. I am so disappointed that a seller wouldn't domestically post me his MD 500mm F8 - he only wanted $120 for the "lens for Pentax"... Rolling Eyes Despite my offer of double that. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that second shot Mark. What camera were you using - is that a full sized 1:1 crop or did you resize?
Also can you confirm this is your lens:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-rmc-tokina-400mm-f5-6.html

I have a tokina 400mm in Vivitar guise - not that impressed actually, I doubt it would take a pic as sharp as yours.

We can discuss the resolution Gerald, whats not in doubt is that stacked vintage TC's have shot the contrast to hell, as I would expect. Did you take that pic wide open - already at ~f14 if so?
I have often tried my "good" 2x tc's - tamron SP, Vivitar macro (probably very similar optically to your komura MC7's), adaptall 01F, without really ever being convinced that the results were worth the multiplied focal length.
"Mush" comes to mind looking at yours Teemō- sorry!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marcus

This was shot on a Nikon D7100 and has been cropped

I can confirm it is the same lens

I have stopped using TCs as I found that the quality deteriorates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

"Mush" comes to mind looking at yours Teemō- sorry!

Completely understandable lol! Simply posted here for comparison, against Gerald's 135x4.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:

We can discuss the resolution Gerald, whats not in doubt is that stacked vintage TC's have shot the contrast to hell, as I would expect. Did you take that pic wide open - already at ~f14 if so?

A teleconverter does not necessarily "shot the contrast to hell." What happens is that the full moon is a low-contrast object. The quality of a photo of the moon is measured by the definition of the image (given by the minimum distance visible between the small details), not by a subjective "impression" of sharpness. A half-moon photo, for example, can produce a false impression of sharpness because the almost horizontal light produces dark shadows inside the moon craters. Another classic case of apparent sharpness are the photos of cats and dogs, when the animal's hair induces the observer to imagine greater sharpness than the actual one.

I do not remember the aperture I used. Certainly the lens was not all open, maybe F5.6.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Mark.
I like your second shot better.

If interested, I shot the moon with different combos on an Olympus Pen E-P2 : Canon EF 4/200 L + extender x1.4 ; Tamron SP500 F8 + doubler ; Tamron SP500 F8 alone.
Here are the results : http://forum.mflenses.com/moon-shots-with-different-combos-tamron-sp-500-f8-t64913,highlight,%2Bmoon.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Pentax q10 moon shot Reply with quote