Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 01A 35-80 1:2.8-3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Tamron 01A 35-80 1:2.8-3.8 Reply with quote

Just got a copy of this lens this week - time for a play with it

Am really impressed with the quality - even if these pics dont really do it justice!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imaginative and good photos. 01A is highly regarded lens; have four copies in my collection.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Tamron just make lenses at random and then figure out what the focal length was? They certainly made lenses in just about every combination of F.L. imaginable. Rolling Eyes And this is another Tamron I haven't got, but I have virtually the same F.L. in other Tamron's. I'm definitely on a Tamron kick at the moment and loving their old zooms, I think they were leading the way back then.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Did Tamron just make lenses at random and then figure out what the focal length was? They certainly made lenses in just about every combination of F.L. imaginable. Rolling Eyes And this is another Tamron I haven't got, but I have virtually the same F.L. in other Tamron's. I'm definitely on a Tamron kick at the moment and loving their old zooms, I think they were leading the way back then.

Yep - they covered the field pretty fully in those days.
This is one of the SP range and one of their best from that era.
In the SP range alone there was the 28-80, 28-135 and this one 35-80.
This one is often listed as the best of those three
T

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great lens, I have just gotten one myself, but it flares too much if sun is as intense and at a low angle as now in my area.

Zeiss lenses with T treatment flare as well but to a far lesser extent .

usually such kind of strong sun is not so common, here or elsewhere I guess, so not a big problem

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this lens is remarkably good, giving very sharp results, even wide open. (easily good enough for my 36mpx D810) It's only real weakness for me is the amount of flare it can suffer, the vario-sonnar 35-70 f3.4 was better in that respect but otherwise very similar. I've been using it this last week as it happens.

Overflow by Kyle, on Flickr

Fleur De Lis by Kyle, on Flickr

The Cemetery Gate by Kyle, on Flickr

Wide open.
Beyer DT 770 by Kyle, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Yep - they covered the field pretty fully in those days.
This is one of the SP range and one of their best from that era.
In the SP range alone there was the 28-80, 28-135 and this one 35-80.
This one is often listed as the best of those three
T

I've been using my 22A 35-135 / 3.5-4.2 and 17A 35-70 / 3.5 a lot recently, both are great walkabout lenses with the 19AH 70-210 / 3.5.

My 59A 28-70 / 3.5-4.5 has just been thrown in my scrap box, it was a crap lens, and has just seized solid. It's one of the later Tamrons, a horrid thing in every respect, and I won't grieve when it gets broken for parts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I brought in my first Tamron SP 26A. It was a nice find for under US$10.

But with resolution equal to a 01A? I don't think so. The 01A is a really sharp lens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Another test shot using this lens Reply with quote

Another test shot using this lens - this time the headstock of a Yamaha FGB1 guitar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took this lens on an outing recently as my only lens companion.
I have usually used it on my Canon film cameras, but on this occasion it was on Fujifilm X-E1.
I was happy with its results
T