Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Haiou-64 58mm f/2 (Minolta MD/SR mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Haiou-64 58mm f/2 (Minolta MD/SR mount) Reply with quote

Finally i got one. It's the older version with chrome elements in the barrel. As you know it is a Chinese Zeiss Biotar copy, so in fact it should be the same as a Helios lens as well. I was really curious about these lenses, mainly because i collect Minolta stuff and i wanted to add the clones as well, the Seagull DF is a Minolta SR clone which came with the Haiou-64.

Here are some quick testshots around the house. Dull, cloudy day, no direct sunlight available. It's really prone to flare, point it a something that resembles light and your contrast is gone, even at f/8. Is it sharp then? Not really, actually. Could be my copy, but my Helios is sharper!

So, does it swirl like a Biotar? Yes it does!

I'm also expecting the newer, all black, version of this lens as well. I do not know if it is any different from this one, maybe it has a better flare resistance? We'll see.

Cheers, René!

The lens:
Haiou-64 on A7 by René Maly, on Flickr

My cat at f/2.8, slightly processed picture.

This was taken wide open, it shows the typical swirls in the bokeh, wide open sharpness and CA can be seen in the crop.

This is at f/4, sharp enough, but not like a Minolta or Hexanon lens. Plus a crop.

One at f/5.6

And an unprocessed picture at f/8 where it's quite obvious how it reacts to light. On a sunny day one would absolutely need a hood or hold a hand over the top of the lens....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the same as mine, which I got from a box of junk at the camera fair for next to nothing. It's cleaned up and works perfectly. And it's just as you're finding it, it loves a hood, it's sharp enough - I also think the Helios is sharper, and it's a big heavy testament to Chinese copying. I actually quite like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i on the other hand have different experience with this lens. i didn't have problems with losing contrast and have used it in sunshine without lens shade without flare, and excellent sharpness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
i on the other hand have different experience with this lens. i didn't have problems with losing contrast and have used it in sunshine without lens shade without flare, and excellent sharpness

Is it the same lens or another version? I have an all black one coming to me, which is newer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Is it the same lens or another version? I have an all black one coming to me, which is newer.

silver nosed version , serial SB-2036510

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

That is the same i guess, mine is SB-2076228.

Copy variation, doesn't surprise me. I guess it's just like many lenses we know that were made in the USSR or former Eastern Germany: you can get a bad one but you could also get lucky with an exceptional sample! However there seem to be 2 silver nosed versions, one with a knurled ring on the front as seen in this picture by Kievuser.
I don't know if all of the silver nosed versions had the Lanthanum elements, but it's being said they were hand grinded.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
TrueLoveOne wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Yours is a very early one, the 36510th lens that should have 2 lanthanum elements.

Just now I did a quick test with my Olympus Epl-2 and compared my SB-2001182(the 1182th Haiou-64) with a Minolta MD Macro 50mm F3.5. Both lens were set at F3.5. at about 70cm distance. It appears the Haiou-64 is a sharp lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

That is the same i guess, mine is SB-2076228.

Copy variation, doesn't surprise me. I guess it's just like many lenses we know that were made in the USSR or former Eastern Germany: you can get a bad one but you could also get lucky with an exceptional sample! However there seem to be 2 silver nosed versions, one with a knurled ring on the front as seen in this picture by Kievuser.
I don't know if all of the silver nosed versions had the Lanthanum elements, but it's being said they were hand grinded.

From what I read , only those black ones with a rubber aperture ring changed materials of lens elements. There are silver nosed ones with an 8 digit s/n that means these are above 100,000 lenses. I have a very rare one of these Chinese Biotar copies, a Xiongmao brand (Panda) one. I may compare those different brand lenses when I got time.But the rarest one is the lens made for the Shanghai DF-7, Less than 200 pieces were made before the model name shanged to Haiou DF-7 showen in my pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kievuser wrote:

Yours is a very early one, the 36510th lens that should have 2 lanthanum elements.

Do you know when they stopped using the Lanthanum elements?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information. There are at least two versions of 58mm F2 lenses made for Shanghai DF SLRs and the earliest ones has a screw mount. The Shanghai DF cameras also have different versions- with mirror lock-up or without, with strap lugs or without, and the earliest cameras has a top speed of 1/600 second only.Only 200 some Shanghai DF cameras were made since 1964 that makes them even rarer than the famous Red Flag -20 rangefinder cameras. Now the asking price for this cameras is very high. Images are borrowed from a friend of mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
kievuser wrote:

Do you know when they stopped using the Lanthanum elements?

I don't know exact date, but about 1985-86 as I heard.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has a serial number SB-2047966 and is just about unmarked, but one side of the aperture ring hasn't been paint sprayed black, it's unpainted brass, the black finish fades in very nicely , but obviously it wasn't intended to be this way. Chinese quality control at its best.

But it does take a good picture, this is straight out of the Sony A6000, lens wide open, 1/400 and ISO 250

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy is much, much sharper than Helios (44M-7, 77M-4 etc.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:

Indeed, the results are very pleasing.
Well done
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:

Nice pictures! (and models!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received another Seagull SLR with Haiou lens from a local website, this one is older, serial #SB-2031516. I have to put it on the A7 this week.

I was wondering just how rare these lenses and cameras actually are. A search on ebay isn't going to give you long lists with offers.

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Just received another Seagull SLR with Haiou lens from a local website, this one is older, serial #SB-2031516. I have to put it on the A7 this week.

I was wondering just how rare these lenses and cameras actually are. A search on ebay isn't going to give you long lists with offers.

Cheers, René!

Quiet common in China, I frequently see it in camera stores. It is only rare in the West. My copy has the serial SB-2027324

There is also a Pearl River version of this lens as well, which is also common.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this, taken with the Haiou-69. 58 / 2 - wide open.

"Here be Unicorns"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
D. P. wrote:

Nice pictures! (and models!)

I fully agree with the second part of your comment Wink