Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First test shots with new Helios 44-M7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: First test shots with new Helios 44-M7 Reply with quote

Hello Forum, yesterday I received from the bay my lastest aquisition.
Today some sun was peering over the clouds.
After a long phase of reading and investingation in the net, I purchased the Helios lense with high expectations because the petzval effect.
For me it looks a little bit dark, some of the images had to be overexposed with +1.7.
But the blades are working and the adapter also very well.
Maybe an effect of the glistening snow to the exposing time calculation of the camera.
For the petzval look , I still was not successfull with a suitable combination of distance, background and stop settings.

Best regards

Here are some more examples from today with more sunshine and a living actor...

Best regards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Helios 2,4,5 and 7. Love them all, especially for the bokeh. Unfortunatelly, rarely use them.
About your shots, yes I think it's the snow effect that forget to calculate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Smile

Yes, in snow you usually have to use between +1 and +2 EV exposure compensation. Has nothing to do with the lens.

When you say new Helios 44M-7, do you mean "new" new or new to you? Because recently russian scammers have been selling "new" 44M-7s that were actually plain old vanilla 44M or 44M-4, just with a fake nameplate to increase prices. Wink

This Petzval look I assume you mean swirly bokeh, right? You're correct, you need the right combination of aperture, focus distance and distance to background. In my experience you get that effect when focus distance is in the half body to full body portrait range, the background needs to be about 2-4 times further back and the aperture of course has to be fully open. Also apparently the old 44-2 has this effect much more pronounced than the newer versions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

Nice looking orange tabby Smile