Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Repro Nikkor 170mm F1.4 Platinum Silver - Ultra Micro Nikkor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Repro Nikkor 170mm F1.4 Platinum Silver - Ultra Micro Nikkor Reply with quote

Hmm...
Dr. Klaus and all, what do you think? Not that I could afford it!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repro-Nikkor-170mm-F1-4-Platinum-Silver-Ultra-Micro-Nikkor-Happy-New-Year-/262937503525?hash=item3d384be725:g:r8YAAOSwyQtVrhFU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Repro Nikkor 170mm F1.4 Platinum Silver - Ultra Micro Ni Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Hmm...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repro-Nikkor-170mm-F1-4-Platinum-Silver-Ultra-Micro-Nikkor-Happy-New-Year-/262937503525?hash=item3d384be725:g:r8YAAOSwyQtVrhFU

Famous Russian Nikon colletor Kyril Arsov living in Sweden, seemingly selling (or better trying to sell) some
of his huge assets....

See here him mentioned on famous Nikon REDBOOK site: http://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/fan11/a01.html

I'm also mentioned there http://redbook-jp.com/redbook-e/fan12/b02.html Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are interesting conversations!
World authorities on macro lenses discussing with each other....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
These are interesting conversations!
World authorities on macro lenses discussing with each other....

MUAHHHHH.... Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's some serious money being asked.
No rush fellows, 3 days to go. Take your time. Very Happy

Now, on a serious note, I doubt it will sell. The guy needs an auction house to sell that jewel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some information you might want to have before buying it:

http://www.marcocavina.com/articoli_fotografici/Nikon_Repro-Nikkor/00_pag.htm

What were these lenses used for?

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

Now, on a serious note, I doubt it will sell. The guy needs an auction house to sell that jewel.

It is not the first time listed, as well ar the $38.000 COM-Nikkor. I doubt it will ever sell...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Stephan

So you copy the link here, but haven't read Marco's article?? Twisted Evil
A high resolution copy lens it is...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Stephan

So you copy the link here, but haven't read Marco's article?? Twisted Evil
A high resolution copy lens it is...

Yes of course it is a "copy lens" since it is calculated precisely for "1:1" ! ... But where do i need such lenses?? "High resolution copy lens" doesn't explain that much! Especially since the lens is color corrected (400-600nm). While there are no infos about the resolution of the 1.4/170mm, Marco gives "200 LP/mm @ f5.6" for the 1/85mm. And probably even better at wider apertures! Was there any color film ready to handle such a high resolution? And why the extreme freedom from distortion? To me, for time being, it doesn't make sense, but of course it did make sense to those engineers constructing such a lens Wink

Does anyone have an idea about the very use of such lenses? Chip manufacturing? But if so: why color corrected??

Stephan

Last edited by stevemark on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High resolution color film-to-film copy. Not for micro circuit / chip making, the (Ultra) Micro Nikkor lens family was especially designed for that, corrected for one specific narrow wavelength band (usually the Mercury lines, as high intensity lamps were needed)

Guess I have found the source where Kyril might have gotten the lens from:
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/nikon-170mm-f1-4-lens.17947/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
High resolution color film-to-film copy.

I don't think so, to be honest. That seems to be a vastly over-engineered solution for copying color slides ...

Some kind of scientific research seems more plausible, and is - in fact - cited in the link you gave:
"We used to use it* (I work at a University) for photography of stress effects using polarised light - "

* the Nikkor 1.4/170mm

kds315* wrote:

Not for micro circuit / chip making, the (Ultra) Micro Nikkor lens family was especially designed for that, corrected for one specific narrow wavelength band (usually the Mercury lines, as high intensity lamps were needed)

Yep, that's what i though as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah think "OTAKU" would translate neatly into Scots vernacular as ...BAMPOT! Cool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kds315* wrote:

I don't think so, to be honest. That seems to be a vastly over-engineered solution for copying color slides ...

Some kind of scientific research seems more plausible, and is - in fact - cited in the link you gave:
"We used to use it* (I work at a University) for photography of stress effects using polarised light - "

* the Nikkor 1.4/170mm

kds315* wrote:

Not for micro circuit / chip making, the (Ultra) Micro Nikkor lens family was especially designed for that, corrected for one specific narrow wavelength band (usually the Mercury lines, as high intensity lamps were needed)

Stephan,

the film-to-film copy info came from Nikon, not from me. I also was quite surpised,
but the similar Printing Nikkors have quite similar design and data (and are apochromatic
as well), and those are definitely for film-to-film copy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
kds315* wrote:

* the Nikkor 1.4/170mm

kds315* wrote:

Not slides, but film prints. The Printing and Repro Nikkors were designed for transfer of original film stock to print for theater working copies. 105mm Printing Nikkor was for up to 70mm film printing. 95mm was for printing 16mm or 70mm onto 35mm (depending on orientation of the lens). This is the same application as the 89mm Printing Ektar. I think the more exotic Repro-Nikkors were designed for larger formats.

edited to add: I am wrong...the Repros were only good for 35mm, not for larger formats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small THX Ray!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
[

Not slides, but film prints. The Printing and Repro Nikkors were designed for transfer of original film stock to print for theater working copies.

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Himself wrote:

It is not the first time listed, as well ar the $38.000 COM-Nikkor. I doubt it will ever sell...

If a guy didn't want to sell his items, he would ask a ridiculously high price for them. I have seen this kind of sellers before. However, in recent years, as far as I know, some high priced historical, and rare lenses were actually sold. It could be an indication that there is a shift from vintage cameras to lenses for collectors in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Repro Nikkor 170mm F1.4 Platinum Silver - Ultra Micro Ni Reply with quote

Kram wrote:
Hmm...

Seems to be a bit shy about showing the optics. Not good in a listing for a $50,000 lens.