Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Angenieux Paris St-Heand AX TYPE 65 F. 115-120
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Angenieux Paris St-Heand AX TYPE 65 F. 115-120 Reply with quote

Just got this lens the other day, because I've seen some very nice results on Toby Marshall's page, not exactly same focal length, but very close
I could unscrew the lens in half only, trying to remove the aluminum exterior case (that has a little screw Wich once removed doesn't do anything).
Anyway, it is easy to clean removing the two extreme rings from outside, and I could find 2 elements on each group, front and rear.
I am curious to find out what projector were these lenses used on and how could I remove the aluminum tube that is very tight fitted (probably it came like that from the factory?).
The front element has a diameter of 55,5 mm and the rear 38,1mm, so what aperture would this lens have?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the formula of aperture equal focal divided by entry pupil diameter, but the 115-120mm Isa relative focal length or what?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I know the formula of aperture equal focal divided by entry pupil diameter, but the 115-120mm Isa relative focal length or what?

The current focal length is indicated on the small window near the rear part. You can adjust the focal length of the lens(from 115 to 120) by unlocking the thread lock and adjusting the outer ring at the rear. You can refer to this Chinese page http://www.bigeye.url.tw/big5/d_ange110_115.htm .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks , i have tried using acetone on the end of each side of the aluminum barrel, but won´t help release the aluminum tube
on the other side, this lens is lacking the 2 rings on the extremes, which are supposed to adjust the focal length
i might guess this lens was modified to be used as a fixed lens, either though, it does have the little screw on the aluminum barrel , but once i remove that screw, it won´t allow to adjust anything else
i guess i would have to unlock the thread lock, but that would not be easy task, as this barrel is perfectly fitted, like a factory pressed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try applying a hair dryer, I have had some lenses which even handed to a strong person were utterly impossible to unscrew (for instance) until a bit of heat was applied. But this seems like a slip-on, even still same goes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've thought about it as a last solution, removing the elements before applying heat on it ( I have an electric heat gun that would work better lol, next week) - this lens has the glass pretty clean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Paris St-Heand AX TYPE 65 F. 115-120 Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Just got this lens the other day, because I've seen some very nice results on Toby Marshall's page, not exactly same focal length, but very close
I could unscrew the lens in half only, trying to remove the aluminum exterior case (that has a little screw Wich once removed doesn't do anything).
Anyway, it is easy to clean removing the two extreme rings from outside, and I could find 2 elements on each group, front and rear.
I am curious to find out what projector were these lenses used on and how could I remove the aluminum tube that is very tight fitted (probably it came like that from the factory?).
The front element has a diameter of 55,5 mm and the rear 38,1mm, so what aperture would this lens have?

Front element 55.5 with a focal length of 110 gives just under f2. My Type 65, I found out later that the rear elements had been replaced with those from another, unknown, projection lens. I had actually bought two other Type 65s, one the 115-120 and a 95-100 trying to replicate the results from the 85-90mm. A normal Type 65 is a nice Petzval lens, but it won't have the crazy swirl of the one that I have.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Angenieux Paris St-Heand AX TYPE 65 F. 115-120 Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Front element 55.5 with a focal length of 110 gives just under f2. My Type 65, I found out later that the rear elements had been replaced with those from another, unknown, projection lens. I had actually bought two other Type 65s, one the 115-120 and a 95-100 trying to replicate the results from the 85-90mm. A normal Type 65 is a nice Petzval lens, but it won't have the crazy swirl of the one that I have.

thanks, your pics with these lenses are very uncommon , that´s what i like and look after

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After removing optical elements, I've tried the heat gun to release the aluminum tube, with no succes ( acetone didn't help neither).
So ,couple of hours inside the freezer, after that applying some hammer force it came out easily.
Now would be the turn to use some kind of an adapter for the 52,3mm tube
Now the lens has a weight of 302g with the tube it went to 492g lol (finally the lens it's adjustable on FL, seems like it passes the 120mm ,maybe up to 122mm)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
After removing optical elements, I've tried the heat gun to release the aluminum tube, with no succes ( acetone didn't help neither).
So ,couple of hours inside the freezer, after that applying some hammer force it came out easily.
Now the lens has a weight of 302g with the tube it went to 492g lol (finally the lens it's adjustable on FL, seems like it passes the 120mm ,maybe up to 122mm)

Use a 52.5 clamp
https://rafcamera.com/adapters/clamps/adapter-front-side-52-5mm-clamp/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Use a 52.5 clamp

Thank you for your answer, I'm using Sony mount, which clamp should I choose and what other ring adapter would I need? I do have a m42 helicoid Sony mount

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Use a 52.5 clamp

Thank you for your answer, I'm using Sony mount, which clamp should I choose and what other ring adapter would I need? I do have a m42 helicoid Sony mount

Check how much extension is need for infinity. If the required extension from the rear of the lens is long than your m42 helicoid 2mm more, you might use this one with your existing m42 helicoid https://rafcamera.com/clamp-52-5mm-to-m42x1m .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I've just ordered one of those , let's see how long would it take to arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Thank you, I've just ordered one of those , let's see how long would it take to arrive.

Good question. It really depend on where they ship and how they ship. It can take a long time since they ship most of their item from Belarus .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Good question. It really depend on where they ship and how they ship. It can take a long time since they ship most of their item from Belarus .

this time, they will ship from Austria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
kiddo wrote:

Use a 52.5 clamp

Check how much extension is need for infinity. If the required extension from the rear of the lens is long than your m42 helicoid 2mm more, you might use this one with your existing m42 helicoid https://rafcamera.com/clamp-52-5mm-to-m42x1m .

The helicoid I have is Sony-M42 length 26mm-52mm and with the lens to reach Infinity, the helicoid measure 28,7mm, so I am not sure about the thickness of that adapter if it would fit or not to use it for infinity shots.
On the other side, I've tried some infinity shots ,and definitely this lens is crazy sharp even though it has lots of oof focus area ,it does saturate red and blue colors, but is crazy sharp for such a fast lens and focal length, tried on min and max focal length.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Thanks, I've thought about it as a last solution, removing the elements before applying heat on it ( I have an electric heat gun that would work better lol, next week) - this lens has the glass pretty clean

I mean, I don't think so - a hairdryer will be more gentle, or at least controllable, and from my experience can get hot enough to move appropriately sized metal lens tubes, even of some thickness. Certainly at least what you showed in the picture.

And you wouldn't be needing to remove the elements... even if you know where what goes, you're still messing with the rotational alignment unless you marked/remember it. And possibly introducing dust etc. Dont think that's worth it.

If you took the elements out I would sooner take that opportunity to cut the tube off.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my extremely extensive work on lenses (several thousand over the years), I've come to the conclusion that rotational alignment of individual lens elements doesn't make a single lick of difference that affects actual photographic results. It's an old wives' tale.

If you're talking barrel components that have been removed not being screwed in all the way causing problems on the front-to-back axis, perhaps, but that's the extent of it, as even on very old lenses, the symmetry of the lens elements is precise enough that the effects of rotational position are essentially unmeasurable in practice.

A few specks of dust are hardly an issue, either, particularly on a lens of this age which is doubtlessly full of them already.

eggplant wrote:
kiddo wrote:

I mean, I don't think so - a hairdryer will be more gentle, or at least controllable, and from my experience can get hot enough to move appropriately sized metal lens tubes, even of some thickness. Certainly at least what you showed in the picture.

And you wouldn't be needing to remove the elements... even if you know where what goes, you're still messing with the rotational alignment unless you marked/remember it. And possibly introducing dust etc. Dont think that's worth it.

If you took the elements out I would sooner take that opportunity to cut the tube off.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys,as the heater solution didn't work, the freezing option it worked straight with no issues.
I could clean the optics , and are in a very good condition, better than before definitely.
I could only do some shots and I'm just amazed of the results . I do admit I've never had a petzvel design lens before, but this lens is so crazy sharp with lots of imperfections , the type of character lens I just like for portraits ,maybe not only.
Regarding the rotational alignment of the elements, I've read that might be an issue for the lenses with floating elements, in my case , sending the lens for a CLA wouldn't be the right choice for this one.