Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron SP 24-48 13A
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Tamron SP 24-48 13A Reply with quote

Got this some time ago in a lot from Japan, of "problem" lenses.
In this case it had fungus and dirt.
It was surprisingly easy to clean though.
Also in that lot was a very dirty Super Takumar 50/4 Macro which also cleaned up very nicely and a Mamiya Repro lens, and a super clean Minolta "beercan". Go figure.

In this shot I have a 67-72 filter ring adapter on it, trying to fit a filter. Filters are supposed to go inside the hood, though I don't have the proper hood.

This is one of the initial series of "SP" premium lenses from Tamron, an ambitious and advanced design for its day (1980).

The Adaptall-2 site writeup is very positive as are most online reviews.

http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/13A.html
http://www.vintagelensesforvideo.com/tamron-24-48mm-review/
http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-2-sp-24-48mm-f-3-5-3-8-13a.html
http://www.techtheman.com/2010/06/tamron-sp-24-48mm-f35-38-adaptall-2-13a.html

I don't have much else to add, other than:

- Its an early Adaptall-2 2-touch Tamron, very nicely and solidly made as these all are.

- It does suffer very badly from flare, and really does need a hood (and I can't see that mine has any haze, though I suspected that for a while). I did find a Tamron bayonet hood that fits (designed for one of the 28-80 lenses I think), if not ideal perhaps if used on a full frame Sensor. Even with a hood though, this thing will need to be used carefully.

- Minimum focus is rather long (@ 2 feet/.6 meter) than we are used to for wide angles these days.

- Its very difficult to fit filters on this thing, without the correct hood, other than with the Cokin system. The regular filter size is 77mm which would be a pain, assuming its got the proper hood in the first place. Without that hood you have an interrupted 67mm thread across the "petals" in front, which can be used though its very fiddly.

It is an excellent "street" photography lens, and I did try to do as much of that as I could. As sharp as anything I can evaluate, and on APS-C it has excellent corners even at 24mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great lens, nice presentation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very useful and quality lens.
So sorry I sold mine many years ago
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third image is great - from my point of view!
TGhank you for this post, I need to use my copy..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of this lens. I had it mounted to a Pentax MX and just finished a roll of Tri-X with it. I'll know more about how mine performs as soon as I can get this roll developed.

In the mean time, I found some reviews of the lens over at the Pentax forums. The last review (first actually, but it is shown last) has some interesting comparison shots along with some useful links about this lens, including one from this forum that dates back to 2013:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-2-sp-24-48mm-f-3-5-3-8-13a.html

I own a copy of the Vivitar Series 1 24-48 f/3.8 -- in Canon FD mount. I bought this Tamron as a replacement because the Vivitar's aperture blades keep sticking. It's really surprising how much more compact the Tamron is than the Vivitar. The Tamron isn't much bigger than a 50mm lens, whereas the Vivitar is the size of a typical short zoom.

Well, tomorrow, I think I'll spend some time developing some film. And I'll probably report back here with some pics to share.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have a copy of this lens. I had it mounted to a Pentax MX and just finished a roll of Tri-X with it. I'll know more about how mine performs as soon as I can get this roll developed.

In the mean time, I found some reviews of the lens over at the Pentax forums. The last review (first actually, but it is shown last) has some interesting comparison shots along with some useful links about this lens, including one from this forum that dates back to 2013:

I own a copy of the Vivitar Series 1 24-48 f/3.8 -- in Canon FD mount. I bought this Tamron as a replacement because the Vivitar's aperture blades keep sticking. It's really surprising how much more compact the Tamron is than the Vivitar. The Tamron isn't much bigger than a 50mm lens, whereas the Vivitar is the size of a typical short zoom.

Well, tomorrow, I think I'll spend some time developing some film. And I'll probably report back here with some pics to share.

Michael, when I owned this lens I used it exclusively on film.
It was an excellent performer and my hiking companion on Canon FTb for many years.
I think that you will be happy with the results
OH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results

I didn't know that Pentax AD-adapter has these Nikon-style little aperture numbers? Are they used for the same reason?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the third image. It's quite striking! I have never owned this lens and it is definitely on my hit list. I do own the Vivitar Series 1 24-48mm mentioned and it's a very neat lens. I'd be interested to see these two go head-to-head. I envy the smaller form factor of the Tamron lens. As far as the hood (Tamron #27FH), I have seen them pop up on eBay now and again, often for BIN $15-30. I grabbed one, even though I don't own the lens, just for the day I finally get a nice copy of this lens because I know they aren't always available. With patience, I'm confident you'll be able to pick one up.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskalaCafe wrote:
Nice results

I didn't know that Pentax AD-adapter has these Nikon-style little aperture numbers? Are they used for the same reason?

Yep, the Pentax K-mount adapter has them (dunno about the KA adapter, but I would assume so), as does the Minolta MD adapter.

My Pentax MX and my Minolta XD-11 have the little read-out windows that pick up these numbers and display them in the viewfinder area.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine pics Luis, sounds like you made a score with this lens. Did you do a deep dissasemble?

TOP TIP: canon EW63-II bayonet hood fits the 13A (more or less). See here (page down):

http://www.tremyfoel.co.uk/photography/Adaptall/TamronAdaptallList2.html

edit 3d party ones are very cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EW-63-II-Lens-Hood-For-Canon-EF-28-105mm-EF-28mm-f-1-8-USM-EW63II-/271988708654?hash=item3f53ca552e:g:PBgAAOSwwbdWMfQ4

The EW63C probably also works.

Only the later PKM adaptall mount (and the rollei and minolta mounts too) had the flange with the f numbers on. The 1st gen and PKA mounts don't.

Last edited by marcusBMG on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
I love the third image. It's quite striking!

Seems you enjoy using this lens.... And using it well !

I got one from DigiChromeEd, but for some reason we never got along .... Sold it...

I would advise those who want it to get one with its original hood....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mir wrote:
justtorchit wrote:
I love the third image. It's quite striking!

Seems you enjoy using this lens.... And using it well !

I got one from DigiChromeEd, but for some reason we never got along .... Sold it...

I would advise those who want it to get one with its original hood....

After I sold it to you I regretted letting it go. If I'd known you were selling it, I would have bought it back! Rolling Eyes Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked mine so much I got two. I actaully bought the second one to get the hood.
Tamron SP 24-48mm f3.5-3.8 by Kyle, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up using the Tamron C2FH hood that I had lying around, which is supposed to be for one of the AF 28-80 models.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Well done Luis!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots, Luis. But, why NO BIRD?

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Great shots, Luis. But, why NO BIRD?

the bird looks too scary to shoot at 24 mm

Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the bird -

Oh, I always try, but it seems they have a firm union rule about minimum focal length written into their contract. No lenses below 80mm apparently.

They are well organized, those birds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis.
Very nice pics with a fine lens.
I too have the chance to own it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Re the bird -

Oh, I always try, but it seems they have a firm union rule about minimum focal length written into their contract. No lenses below 80mm apparently.

They are well organized, those birds.
well they have been at it for ~137 million years! Some people say they are dinosaurs. I particularly like the final shot in your series.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these this afternoon with a canon EW-63C petal hood. Curious to see what I had in my old bits and bobs that might fit better, I tried a few petal screw in hoods, (none of which fitted) then picked up a pile of random old screw in tamron hoods for other lenses.

BINGO!! the hood from a 103A the 29FH will actually screw into the front thread with a bit of careful nadgering Like 1 small The thing is, a metal 58mm filter won't and I wasn't going to force it, but, the plastic thread on the 58mm thread of the hood distorts and I sort of got it to re thread it self. These hoods are ten a penny so if it gets knackered from repeated use it doesn't matter that much.
I just have to cut my own petal shape into it as its just visible at 24mm but vanishes a 48mm so hopefully I can gradually fine tune this to be spot on.

Whilst I was playing with hoods, I also found a nice unused no brand rubber collapsible for an 01A 35-80 I also got today, plus another one that fitted a 35-135.

I think there is definitely merit in modifying old plastic hoods where flare is a problem for old MF lenses, at least you can cut them about and rub them down to suit where an old original is unavailable. Plus it's something else to play with and obsess over Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

Here is another way with printable pdf hoods when we have no other solutions :
http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballsed this post up Rolling Eyes

Last edited by bychance on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of plastic to remove

Looks quite good as is.

At 24mm how much will I have to remove?

At 48mm, with featured dust spot on sensor...

Pics taken on a canon 600d by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice A1. I like this cam a lot.

I would try to cut 1cm.

Last edited by Olivier on Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:51 pm; edited 2 times in total