Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Van Dyke Brown Print
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Van Dyke Brown Print Reply with quote

As I continue my journey into the Van Dyke Brown printing alternative process I'll post here some of my findings (and you can add yours) in the hope that they'll be useful to others interested in trying this old but beautiful technique.

Last edited by dan_ on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different papers can produce quite different result. Finding the right paper for each intended output is a laborious process.
Just to show how different papers render the same subject you can see here 3 prints from the same negative, with the same processing but on different papers:

Some characteristics of the papers used:

FABRIANO ENGRAVING - not an easy to work with paper. It is soft but thin and while in water a lot of small fibers and stains become visible but, fortunately, when it dries they all disappear. Its surface shouldn't be touched when wet - it rubs off very easy. I like its soft texture and its color. Somehow the prints resemble old engravings.

FABRIANO 5 - easy to work with it and I'll say that it gives standard good results.

GAMPI JAPANESE THIN PAPER - the most difficult to work with of the 3. It is very thirsty and that's why I applied the emulsion while the paper was in a semi-wet state. Otherwise the emulsion is difficult to apply uniform. In water it becomes transparent and when it dries it is semi-transparent. That is an issue as the dark zones of the photo look stained. In fact there is no stain, just zones of different transparency due to the texture of the paper. If pre-coated with a diluted acrilic painting vernice and pre-mounted on other, thicker paper this issue disappears.

Last edited by dan_ on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Excellent Dan!
I really like the Gampi!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice, Dan - i like the Gampi print very much

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus and wolfhansen.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Gampi paper too, but I still have to find a better way to improve the coating of the paper in order to avoid stains in the dark areas.

One more on Fabriano engraving paper with a slightly different processing:

And my framing intention for the square prints (another variant of the print):