Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Teleplus MC7 2X Macro Converter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Teleplus MC7 2X Macro Converter Reply with quote

I think that this is a Kenko product, and I bought it quite some time ago so that I could use the barrel for its helical focusing ability.
Long story short, I decided to test it before dismantling it.
It looks like this one - only in Nikon F mount

I am very surprised as I was not expecting much.
In fact there is negligible loss of detail and I will be keeping it intact as a close-up aid.
Here are some shots taken connected to a Jupiter 11A

And here it is in extended form with helicoid in use

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it's a very nice and useful accessory.
I have the Vivitar branded versions both in Minolta and Nikon mount. It's made by Kenko/Tokina.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one new back in the 1970's for my Canon A1 and still have it, it's a very good bit of kit. And, like you I thought it would make a great helicoid so when I saw a cheap PK mount one I bought it. But I can't bring myself to take it apart because it is so good. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a Tokina. I have destroyed a dozen of them for the helicoids, most useful. Smile

Here's one of the uses I put one to:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The optical quality of this tele-converter continues to surprise.
Here are some quick pics with the Nikkor-H 2/50.
Almost negligible loss of definition.
I am impressed, as a degraded image was to be expected from tele-converters of this era.
And they are sooooooo cheap in the marketplace.
Tom

Crop from the image above:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And further testing with a different lens.
This time with a Nikkor 2/85
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's that bulbous thing Ian?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

7-elements, multi-coated. I have a Ricoh model 7-element that surprised me with 200/4 S-M-C Tak, (try yours with long lens:) ).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Oldhand wrote:

7-elements, multi-coated. I have a Ricoh model 7-element that surprised me with 200/4 S-M-C Tak, (try yours with long lens:) ).

Yes it is still OK.
here are a couple with tele lenses.
With 200mm:

With 300mm:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small excellent indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Vivitar ones in both Canon FD and Nikon F (AI metering), and I need to pick up one for Pentax K as well.

Several years ago, I conducted some critical tests, comparing this TC to the Tamron dedicated TC, and to images taken without a TC. My conclusions were that, not only did this TC not degrade the images I shot, but when compared to images shot without the TC, there were, in some cases at least, actually noticeable improvements in image detail. I posted the results here at mflenses. It was a rather lengthy thread, but there are lots of images that you might find illustrative.

http://forum.mflenses.com/teleconverter-comparison-tamron-01f-vs-vivitar-macro-t38993,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bvivitar+%2Bteleconverter.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I bought one new back in the 1970's for my Canon A1 and still have it, it's a very good bit of kit. And, like you I thought it would make a great helicoid so when I saw a cheap PK mount one I bought it. But I can't bring myself to take it apart because it is so good. Rolling Eyes

Did you ever think of using Canon's 2Xs converter for your A1 as in theory it should be good with 7 elements in 5 groups???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A final couple from me with the Micro Nikkor 3.5/50
T

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good to me, also in macro use!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Looks very good to me, also in macro use!!

Yes, I am continuing to be surprised.
Such good IQ from such a cheap lens.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I have the Vivitar ones in both Canon FD and Nikon F (AI metering), and I need to pick up one for Pentax K as well.

Several years ago, I conducted some critical tests, comparing this TC to the Tamron dedicated TC, and to images taken without a TC. My conclusions were that, not only did this TC not degrade the images I shot, but when compared to images shot without the TC, there were, in some cases at least, actually noticeable improvements in image detail. I posted the results here at mflenses. It was a rather lengthy thread, but there are lots of images that you might find illustrative.

http://forum.mflenses.com/teleconverter-comparison-tamron-01f-vs-vivitar-macro-t38993,highlight,%2Btamron+%2Bvivitar+%2Bteleconverter.html

That was a real labour of love in testing those TCs Michael.
Your images do show an improvement over the originals when the TC is attached.
Extraordinary really.
These macro TCs are common and cheap.
I note that there are more Canon FD types than Nikon and the PK mounts are rarer still. I have sent you a message regarding the PK mount type.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the MC7 with a SMC Pentax 50 / 1.7 and was impressed, I'll post some pictures later.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I tried the MC7 with a SMC Pentax 50 / 1.7 and was impressed, I'll post some pictures later.

They will be welcome Lloydy
T

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, These are just resized and auto levelled in Faststone, except for the very last picture which I have PP'd to show what can be done with the basic image, there's a fair amount of processing but little actual sharpening.
The two pictures of the steps and gate are with the SMC Pentax 50 / 1.7 on the Sony A6000 and then with the Teleplus used as a X2 teleconverter, so it's 100 and 50mm pic's.
The Sekonda picture was shot at f22 with the watch strap at about 45 degrees to the camera and focused on the 'O' just to see what depth of field there was? Not much....

I like the Teleplus MC7 Macro, I've had one for many years, it might not get a lot of use but I wouldn't get rid of it. Obviously proper Macro lenses like my Rokkor 100 / 3.5 and the delightful Takumar Macro 50 / 4 are my macro's of choice, but the Teleplus has it's place, it's not a bad bit of kit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Lloydy! Field curvature evident as focus just kisses sekonda.Smile True, real macro lens is usually flat fielded.

I think these macro teles performance with long telephotos is incredible. Plus all that working distance!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it here is a shot with a Takumar 4/135 Macro lens and the Macro teleplus combined.
The result is greater than life size - ie larger than 1:1
It is a small part of a bag of oranges.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belly Button!

I'm thinkin' 2x macro tc with Tamron SP 8/500. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember trying the TelePlus with a good long lens, That will be this weekends mission. Cool

Pentax PK - mostly half decent zooms or Vivitar 135 / 2.8, which isn't a bad lens. Canon FD - Vivitar S1 70-210, mediocre Optomax 300 / 5.5 or Canon 135 / 3.5 ? How about the Canon mirror 500 / 8 ?

I guess it's going to be the 135's Question

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canon mirror is a decent optic. As for 135s, that Canon 135/3.5 is a real sleeper. And if you have the Vivitar 135/2.8 with the 62mm front filter, ie the close-focus model, that's an outstanding lens. Dunno about the others. But I think I read it here years ago that nobody's made a bad 135. Not my opinion, just reporting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
The Canon mirror is a decent optic. As for 135s, that Canon 135/3.5 is a real sleeper. And if you have the Vivitar 135/2.8 with the 62mm front filter, ie the close-focus model, that's an outstanding lens. Dunno about the others. But I think I read it here years ago that nobody's made a bad 135. Not my opinion, just reporting.

I have the FL 3.5/135 and it is outstanding as well
I posted some images from it somewhere here under "the other sonnar".
Will see if I can find them
T