Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina rmc 17 mm hood
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Tokina rmc 17 mm hood Reply with quote

This lens deserves a good hood. This is mine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. It looks very solid (and big).

Can you tell us how you made it?
I have such a lens myself, so I am very interested to know.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:
Nice. It looks very solid (and big).

Can you tell us how you made it?
I have such a lens myself, so I am very interested to know.

Sure.

I bought a 82mm hood:

https://www.amazon.com/MonthSir-Universal-Aperture-Suitable-Caliber/dp/B07R13SKRK/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=82mm+hood&qid=1580928582&sr=8-8

A step up 67 82 mm ring

https://www.amazon.com/Sensei-67mm-Lens-Filter-Step-Up/dp/B00AE1M6NE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=6782mm+step+up+ring&qid=1580928828&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Adhesive black felt (ebay or amazon or better a local shop)

and I spent two hours trimming the hood to shape since it is basically adequate for a 28mm angle of view.

The result is quite good since the hood shape does not allow for any unwanted light which is good for contrast.

You must use a step up ring since using a 67mm hood necessitate to trim in the corners untill you reach the lens front threading to avoid vignetting which would break the hood in four pieces.

Adding felt is necessary because those cheap hoods reflect light like mirrors and are pretty useless by themselves.

Prior to that I used a reinforced paper hood adjusted to the body which was very efficient, small but fragile. And I rely very much on the hood to avoid contact with the glass.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the detailed description.

I will order some stuff and make one myself... now that I know how to do it Wink.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an 'adapted' petal hood for my Tokina 17 on my NEX5 and A6000, but it was no good for my A7II, I was going to cut it back but then I found this for sale at the local Camera Fair, it was brand new but not packaged and it has no brand name on it, just 'Japan' - so where it can be bought from I don't know. I suspect it's one of the widely available Ebay items. It is however a very good one, so worth searching for by looking closely at pictures. The hood is a snug fit on the outside of the Tokina and there is a small screw to clamp it, but it's tight enough without it. It's a strong hood, well made and perfect size and shape, I get no vignetting - but running a finger tip around the edge I can see that the shape conforms to the angle of view.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I used an 'adapted' petal hood for my Tokina 17 on my NEX5 and A6000, but it was no good for my A7II, I was going to cut it back but then I found this for sale at the local Camera Fair, it was brand new but not packaged and it has no brand name on it, just 'Japan' - so where it can be bought from I don't know. I suspect it's one of the widely available Ebay items. It is however a very good one, so worth searching for by looking closely at pictures. The hood is a snug fit on the outside of the Tokina and there is a small screw to clamp it, but it's tight enough without it. It's a strong hood, well made and perfect size and shape, I get no vignetting - but running a finger tip around the edge I can see that the shape conforms to the angle of view.

David, I have the dedicated Tokina hood for this lens (which I bought new and boxed) and it is identical in every respect to yours so I think you have stumbled upon a hard to find original hood. Btw, the original was not branded "Tokina", just "Japan". Congrats

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

David, I have the dedicated Tokina hood for this lens (which I bought new and boxed) and it is identical in every respect to yours so I think you have stumbled upon a hard to find original hood. Btw, the original was not branded "Tokina", just "Japan". Congrats

That's nice to know, it was in a dealers box of junk under the table and I only paid £2 for it. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this metal hood on Amazon:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for full frame or APSC? Tell us how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

Great question. On FF Angle of View is 103°40' -- not like we're attempting to put a hood on a lens with 180° view, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

I use the lens on apsc camera (Fujifilm). I like it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Tokina 17, had a few copies, AF and MF, always a good to great performer.