Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios MC 28mm f2.8, thoughts please?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Helios MC 28mm f2.8, thoughts please? Reply with quote

Hi guys, has anyone got experience of what this lens is like?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one lens called Helios Auto Wide Angle 28mm f/2.8, a lens made in Japan. Sold it a while ago.

Put a little review on here, but pictures are missing since the forum server crashed:
http://forum.mflenses.com/helios-auto-wide-angle-28-f-2-8-t60758,highlight,%2Bhelios+%2B28.html

I will probably have the pictures somewhere on my computer at home.

I think it was not a bad lens. Well build and produced good images, sharp when stopped down a little.

If you want to, I can look up the pictures and share them.

Let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Chris, I take as not being a preset type lens, seen one cheap on eBay but picture is pants!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
Cheers Chris, I take as not being a preset type lens, seen one cheap on eBay but picture is pants!

i'm not sure what you mean..

the lens i had was not a preset lens, just a common M42 lens with also an A/M switch if i remember well

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have been clearer, what I meant by preset type was in relation to the aperture ring, some Helios lenses have the aperture ring close to the mount and some have the aperture ring at the front element end of the lens. I know it's not preset, the photo on eBay is awful but the lens is cheap and listed in wrong category, found it by accident in a non photographic category.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of Helios lenses, there should be a distinction between the "real" Helios lenses (the ones from FSU, such as the Helios 44) and other lenses branded as "Helios", which are quite generic, but not well-known, lenses, mainly from Japan, which sound exciting because of their name. I guess most of them are not of the preset type like most "real" Helios lenses are.

But perhaps you were already aware of this.

Apart from that it's always nice to find out how those "other" Helios lenses perform, they might be surprising.