Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron 01A 35-80mm strong pincushion distortion - tele end
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Tamron 01A 35-80mm strong pincushion distortion - tele end Reply with quote

Well, I bought an as is - for repair 35-80mm and I'm wondering if I need to reassemble it or live with this strange feature: from around 50mm to the longest focal distance of 80mm it exhibits a very strong pincushion distortion, really annoying at 80mm.

Strangely enough the lens appears tack sharp throughout the entire range, while at 35mm it is not only sharp, there is no apaprent trace of the barrel distortion it is said to have.

No other defect of the image appears as well.

I wonder if somebody remounted it with some lens being inverted, however my guess is that this would totally disrupt the lens' scheme, so image should be also fuzzy.

Macro is pleasantly sharp as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise surprise .. My 35-70 vario sonnar has the same problem ... yes, it's a contax 159 (and yashica fx3) finder problem. I mounted the tamron on a canon ae1 and no traces of distortion remain.

Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron 01A 35-80mm strong pincushion distortion - tele Reply with quote

bghomofaber wrote:
Well, I bought an as is - for repair 35-80mm and I'm wondering if I need to reassemble it or live with this strange feature: from around 50mm to the longest focal distance of 80mm it exhibits a very strong pincushion distortion, really annoying at 80mm.

Strangely enough the lens appears tack sharp throughout the entire range, while at 35mm it is not only sharp, there is no apaprent trace of the barrel distortion it is said to have.

Normal this is THE defect of the lens
Unlike most other lenses: distortion is pefectly corrected at 35mm (where NO distortion is most useful) and nearly not corrected at 80mm
Most lenses have medium (wa) to slight (tele) distortion troughout range and tamron choosed perfect to "none" correction.