Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto Chinon 55mm Macro 1.7- Sample pictures and advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Auto Chinon 55mm Macro 1.7- Sample pictures and advice Reply with quote

Hey guys! I'm pretty new to the forum and to legacy lenses. I recently got pretty lucky and scored a Auto Chinon 55mm Macro 1.7. I bought it on an old chinon camera for 40 dollars on craigslist. I had to take a chance as I could not look at the lens before buying it as I had to send my parents Smile because they were in that city....and I realized that it is quite rare, so I figured id give it a chance. When my parents brought it to me, I was pleased to see that the aperture blades worked well as that seemed to be a overtly common problem. I took a few pictures, and realized that I really like the lens due to its 1:3 magnification and low aperture. However, I was disappointed to see that the images looked very soft even stopped down and that the bokeh did not feel right.
I did my first flashlight test, and I realized that there is quite a bit of...something on what I believe to be the front element mostly. I tried to get one picture of back end and one of the front element.

I apologize, I tried to do my best in figuring out this forum and taking a picture of the problem. Can anyone tell me what that is, and that hopefully it is not fungus? Also, Really enjoy this lens and have only less than 40 dollars invested, and I believe it would be worth "tuning up". Does anyone have any experience with this lens or can guide me on how/where to get it cleaned? I live in Lincoln, NE, so it seems my options are limited locally, but I would be willing to ship it somewhere if it is worth salvaging and am guided into the right direction Smile

Here's a couple test shots that also show how neat the lens is, as well as the problem of soft images and I believe possible light diffusion? I kind of enjoy the glow that it gives the pictures, but it's too much and makes the image too blurry and bokeh too dim and indistinct. Granted most of are close to wide open, if not fully open at f1.7...however, I did test it stopped down, and it did help a bit but it was still noticeable.

All pictures handheld, no post processing, 1.7 aperture.

If anyone can help me figure out what is going on or has any input on this lens or how to fix the problem, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks in advance and I look forward to enjoying this forum as my love for vintage lenses is...growing to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Chinon 55mm Macro 1.7- Sample pictures and advice Reply with quote

in First post of the new member photos are not shown, antispam measure.

as for the lens, looks like fungus or mold, it should be cleaned and after that lens should be fine, unless fungus etched itself into the glass.

StillSanj wrote:
Hey guys! I'm pretty new to the forum and to legacy lenses. I recently got pretty lucky and scored a Auto Chinon 55mm Macro 1.7. I bought it on an old chinon camera for 40 dollars on craigslist. I had to take a chance as I could not look at the lens before buying it as I had to send my parents Smile because they were in that city....and I realized that it is quite rare, so I figured id give it a chance. When my parents brought it to me, I was pleased to see that the aperture blades worked well as that seemed to be a overtly common problem. I took a few pictures, and realized that I really like the lens due to its 1:3 magnification and low aperture. However, I was disappointed to see that the images looked very soft even stopped down and that the bokeh did not feel right.
I did my first flashlight test, and I realized that there is quite a bit of...something on what I believe to be the front element mostly. I tried to get one picture of back end and one of the front element.

I apologize, I tried to do my best in figuring out this forum and taking a picture of the problem. Can anyone tell me what that is, and that hopefully it is not fungus? Also, Really enjoy this lens and have only less than 40 dollars invested, and I believe it would be worth "tuning up". Does anyone have any experience with this lens or can guide me on how/where to get it cleaned? I live in Lincoln, NE, so it seems my options are limited locally, but I would be willing to ship it somewhere if it is worth salvaging and am guided into the right direction Smile

Here's a couple test shots that also show how neat the lens is, as well as the problem of soft images and I believe possible light diffusion? I kind of enjoy the glow that it gives the pictures, but it's too much and makes the image too blurry and bokeh too dim and indistinct. Granted most of are close to wide open, if not fully open at f1.7...however, I did test it stopped down, and it did help a bit but it was still noticeable.

All pictures handheld, no post processing, 1.7 aperture.

If anyone can help me figure out what is going on or has any input on this lens or how to fix the problem, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks in advance and I look forward to enjoying this forum as my love for vintage lenses is...growing to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro at F1.7 your results are fine. DOF is really thin shooting like that. Bokeh also seems OK. I wouldn't worry too much about those inner problems. Seems like minor coating degradation. Nevertheless if dirt is excessive lens should be easy to clean.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The torch test always makes lenses look much worse than they are.
Your results look pretty good to me @ f1.7
OH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rare MCM version:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extraordinary sharpness at wide aperture.
Thank you
OH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Extraordinary sharpness at wide aperture.
Thank you
OH

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looks like fungus to me. Although, your results are not bad, honestly. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a pic or two of the lens please, very nice pics.

StillSanj, did you get your lens cleaned?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1
Nice results D.P.!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Like 1 Like 1
Nice results D.P.!

Thanks Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photo's and very nice rendering from this lens!
Did you add (quite a lot of) contrast in PP, or is it like that wide open?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tell by the great results other people have gotten that mine was rather flawed. I sold it as is and bought another minty one that is getting its aperture blades repaired. I'm excited to get it back to try to replicate those wonderful results.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koen Nhz wrote:
Beautiful photo's and very nice rendering from this lens!
Did you add (quite a lot of) contrast in PP, or is it like that wide open?

These photos are processed in Capture One v.10 - added contrast and sharpness, but not very much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
You can tell by the great results other people have gotten that mine was rather flawed. I sold it as is and bought another minty one that is getting its aperture blades repaired. I'm excited to get it back to try to replicate those wonderful results.

Honestly, I don't really like the bokeh of this lens. So I want to sell it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
Honestly, I don't really like the bokeh of this lens.

+1. It's too nervous for my taste.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
D. P. wrote:
Honestly, I don't really like the bokeh of this lens.

+1. It's too nervous for my taste.

I like this Chinon as a portrait lens:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bokey is too nervous. maybe your post prod edit make it worse. it happened when you increase micro - contrast

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
the bokey is too nervous. maybe your post prod edit make it worse. it happened when you increase micro - contrast

The high micro contrast - a common feature of macro lenses. MCM version is a macro lens.