Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor-S 50/1.4 helicoid grease
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Nikkor-S 50/1.4 helicoid grease Reply with quote

I'm repairing old Nikkor-S 50/1.4, it's first time I'm working with helicoids. I cleaned it all up, I even managed to get rid of all the fungus. I bought some graphite grease for the helicoid, but it was too damp, so I've decided to clean it all again and I reassembled it without grease for now. But the focus ring is still kinda hard to turn, compared to my Nikkor-S 35/2.8. Is there a grease that would loosen it up even more than it is now, without a grease? (I do not use it now, I put it all together without a grease so I dont loose anything, so there is no need to remind me that I should use some kind of lubrication for helicoid)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other people on this forum much more knowledgeable than me, but I would assume that this grease would do your job well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271194713421?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without grease Nikkor-s should spin like a ball bearing. You either have left some grime in the helicoid threads or did not put it back together correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
Without grease Nikkor-s should spin like a ball bearing. You either have left some grime in the helicoid threads or did not put it back together correctly.

That's exactly why I'm asking. I have Nikkor S 35/2.8 and Q135/2.8 and they turn so easily. With this Nikkor S however..I reassembled it back together correctly, that's what I'm sure about. I took a lot of photos when I was taking it apart and I followed it when I was putting it together, everything fits perfectly. And there is no grease left. Helimax is not gonna make it easier to turn, is it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it make a sound? Focus limiter is a pretty snug fit and can rub against the barrel rim. Another possible culprit is focus guide - people at times neglect to clean it and both it and the guide slot are usually covered in solidified grease. When I put helicoids together I always make sure that each pair turns to my satisfaction before making the final assembly. I don't use expensive helicoid grease - the regular NLGI 2 white lithium does a great job for this lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chernobog wrote:
Gardener wrote:

That's exactly why I'm asking. I have Nikkor S 35/2.8 and Q135/2.8 and they turn so easily. With this Nikkor S however..I reassembled it back together correctly, that's what I'm sure about. I took a lot of photos when I was taking it apart and I followed it when I was putting it together, everything fits perfectly. And there is no grease left. Helimax is not gonna make it easier to turn, is it?

I was able to repair a stuck alu tamron helicoid only by performing several cycles of industrial grade ultrasound machine cleaning.

After some it started turning,then some cycles more, a little improvement each time until it turned freely (it was a very bad case).

I guess that with a couple cycles in a serious ultra-sound cleaner should suffice.

Lenses shouldn't be in though, ultra-sound cleaning may damage the glue keeping together groups, and also could damage coating.

I tried cleaning tamron lenses in a home ultra-sound machine, single lenses came out almost good but a doublet became opacized with no turning back.

So use ultra-sound only on aluminium or other metal. Paint didn't suffer in my case .