Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rubinar 1000/10 + 2x extender moon shot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Rubinar 1000/10 + 2x extender moon shot Reply with quote

So I took a shot of last night's moon with my maximum reach set-up, the monster Rubinar 1000mm f10 mirror with the 2x matched extender.
This is just to show how the moon almost fills the a7 full frame sensor. (zero cropping on either image)

I switched to crop sensor mode, at one point, and the moon overlapped the frame Laughing

Rubinar 1000mm f10 + 2x matched extender by Gary Sutherland, on Flickr

For comparison, here's the Rubinar without the extender:
Rubinar 1000mm f10 by Gary Sutherland, on Flickr

I found it to be extremely difficult to focus, particularly without the benefit of in-body stabilisation. At this level of reach, the lens isn't very sharp, it's still impressive for a rusty old mirror lens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, upload 100% crop please.
I'd like to see same details. Like the flag left by Armstrong over there Very Happy
Joke aside, I'd like to see some 100% crops.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
I'd like to see same details. Like the flag left by Armstrong over there Very Happy

I'll do so when I get back home, you'll be disappointed though. I wasn't able to capture a single sharp image 😞

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Great Gary,whenever a moon shot is wanted I seem to always have overcast sky in Calgary.. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At these magnifications, you can almost see the moon move. By the time you clamp the camera down really tight, the moon is heading out of shot!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
At these magnifications, you can almost see the moon move. By the time you clamp the camera down really tight, the moon is heading out of shot!

That was part of the problem for me. Fixing the moon in the left of the frame, focus after zooming in, take a shot and it's leaving the right of the frame. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

Full-size jpeg:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely looks better full size!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Focus/detail resolution is not outstanding, but pretty awesome to get almost the full on on a FF sensor! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done, I tried to use this lens at the last full moon on and A7 II, with a TC and I just could not focus on the moon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, even though this Rubinar lens has good reputation, this result is still a bit better than I can expect.

Interestingly, I did the same shot on the second day of the super moon with FD 300mm f/2.8L on E-M5ii, which is equal to 600mm on full frame camera, and I cropped the photo to the same size as yours to see the difference. It seems regardless of the disadvantage of focal length, the shot is a bit sharper. It looks better when I sharpened the RAW image in CameraRaw but it also produced more artifacts so I set both sharpen and noise reduction to zero.

PS: Simon, I don't know you're here already, welcome to MFlenses community!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Langstrum wrote:
Very nice, even though this Rubinar lens has good reputation, this result is still a bit better than I can expect.

Interestingly, I did the same shot on the second day of the super moon with FD 300mm f/2.8L on E-M5ii, which is equal to 600mm on full frame camera, and I cropped the photo to the same size as yours to see the difference. It seems regardless of the disadvantage of focal length, the shot is a bit sharper. It looks better when I sharpened the RAW image in CameraRaw but it also produced more artifacts so I set both sharpen and noise reduction to zero.

PS: Simon, I don't know you're here already, welcome to MFlenses community!

Thank you Le Minh!

I've been a member for a while, but the forum format has not suited me as much as the Photography With Classic Lenses group on Facebook does. I've taken loads of great information from this forum via Google searches and I've decided that I should start giving something back!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another go at shooting the moon today, again with the monster Rubinar 1000/10.

Shot using crop mode on the Sony a7, NFC'd to my Nexus 6P and slightly edited in Snapseed.

Much better than shooting a full moon.