Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28-90 for macro or Takumar 50mm f4?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Vivitar 28-90 for macro or Takumar 50mm f4? Reply with quote

I have already a Vivitar 28-90mm and need to know if this lens is good enough for macro, or if the Takumar 50mm f4 macro perform so much better that I should buy one of these also?

Does anybody here have any experiences with both of these lenses?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you are wanting from the macro function.
Both will give adequate results but the 50mm macro will go closer and has slightly better definition I think.
I have both so I have taken a quick pic to show the difference.
First the Vivitar 28-90

Next the Takumar 50mm Macro

OH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Both will give adequate results but the 50mm macro will go closer and has slightly better definition I think.
First the Vivitar 28-90

OH

Thankyou for your reply.

It looks like the Vivitar gives a decent result, but will it be possible for you to take new photos with the same scale on the images? Then we can see the real difference between the image qualities of these lenses.

Do you have any suggestion for other affordable macro lenses which will give a much better result than these two?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
First the Vivitar 28-90

OH

Thankyou for your reply.

It looks like the Vivitar gives a decent result, but will it be possible for you to take new photos with the same scale on the images? Then we can see the real difference between the image qualities of these lenses.

Do you have any suggestion for other affordable macro lenses which will give a much better result than these two?

These are both taken at each lens' maximum magnification.
All I could do is make the Takumar lens image smaller, which probably won't help.
There are other 50mm macros that are excellent as well. Minolta MD 3.5/50 and the Canon FD 3.5/50 are probably among the cheapest and give good results.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a thin macro adapter will give the Vivitar lens the same scale, but do you think the Image Quality then will be lower than a macro lens?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both lenses, and like them a lot. I'll try a back to back test and post my opinion. But they are very different, it might be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick and dirty test shot on Sony A6000. ISO 400 Under tungsten lights. Adjusted for levels and resized but no sharpening.
The Vivitar is very good, but not easy to use being a push - pull focus lens, even with a solid mount clamped to a table top and a Gitzo ball head there was a problem focusing accurately until I added a focus rail.

Vivitar on it's own @ f2.8

Vivitar on it's own @ f5.6

Vivitar with Teleplus MC X2 Telecoverter @ f4

Vivitar with Vivitar X3 Telecoverter @ f4

The Takumar is far easier to use, it's a lot smaller and the focusing ring is so much better to get correct focus.

Takumar @ f11

Takumar @ f4

Takumar @f8 plus 23mm extension tube

The Vivitar is a great lens that I use a lot when I go for a walk and dont want to carry a lot of gear, I know that I'll get great pictures, and the macro is good, it's perfectly usable hand held in good light.

If I want to do macro, the Takumar is usually the first lens I go to, but I often use it as a 'standard 50mm lens' when I go walking.

It's a difficult choice because they are vastly different lenses, both excellent in their own way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The push pull is for zooming. Did you use that for focusing? The macro-function is at the largest when the lens is pulled all the way in and you can then rotate for focusing.

And why did you use a teleconverter instead of extension tube on the Vivitar? The teleconverters are known to reduce the IQ because they add an extra glass to the optics.

I can also see that you have used different apertures exept from the F4 pictures and it also look like there are different angles from the camera to the object on each picture which make it difficult to compare the sharpness outside the centre.

It´s therefore difficult to jugde regarding the sharpness, but it looks like the Takumar has a warmer color. Is that because you have a multi-coated lens?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar was zoomed right in and focusing was done by rotating the ring, with fine focusing done by the focus rail. The support stand is very rigid and clamps to something like a table top - which in this case was the weak point and the cabinet top was flexing making focusing difficult.

I used the teleconverters because that's what I have in Canon FD mount, and the Vivitar X3 should be a good match for the lens. I also have the Vivitar in Pentax PK mount and I have got tubes for PK, if I get a chance I'll try that set up.

The change of angle - I took some pictures then went back and took some more, and I chose the best from the selection which is why there's different apertures.

The Takumar is an early pre set version that does not have SMC on the name, but the lens does have purple and blue reflections so there is probably some coating.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the connection between a zoom and prime. If you want a zoom lens you buy one, if you want a 50mm , plenty of them out there. If you want a macro ( 1:1 ) you buy a macro.
What Takumar 50/4 you are referring to? The 1:2 version or 1:1 preset version? Super or SMC?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viv 28-90mm does well - better than I thought it would. Though you need to do a banknote test lloydy, it would not surprise me if the big difference between the 28-90mm and the tak was resolution away from the optical axis. I would normally expect a macro prime to blow most zooms away, period! Certainly that's been my experience and results eg when comparing adaptall zooms (old thread here) and referencing to adaptall 90mm macro.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:

Olympus om 3.5/50 macro OR you can also use Panagor MACRO converter which gives tremendous results to 1:1 with standard (non macro) 50mm (ie : quality of 50mm 1.4 nikkor + Panagor macro converter is higher than micro-nikkor 50mm)
Panagor MACRO converter is NOT a standard doubler/converter as Vivitar's but an internal focus converter DEDICATED to macro work from 1:10 to 1:1 ratio (or more depending of your lens)..
If you are interested i have om 50mm macro + tamron 90mm adaptall macro + panagor macro converter to sell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar. ISO 400, Non sharpening or PP, just resized. Both sequences starting with f2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16. The second sequence is with 36mm tube.

I think this Vivitar is quite impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I think this Vivitar is quite impressive.

Like Dog Agreed!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good but it is difficult to compare this lens with the Takumar when the last photo sections are all taken with the same lens. The best way to compare lenses is to place the same image from these two lenses side by side.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
It looks good but it is difficult to compare this lens with the Takumar when the last photo sections are all taken with the same lens. The best way to compare lenses is to place the same image from these two lenses side by side.

Maybe you should buy yourself a Takumar and do the comparisons that you are asking for.
Lloyd has gone to a great deal of trouble to inform you and this has taken quite a bit of his time.
Perhaps a "thank you" is in order.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Eriksen wrote:

Maybe you should buy yourself a Takumar and do the comparisons that you are asking for.
Lloyd has gone to a great deal of trouble to inform you and this has taken quite a bit of his time.
Perhaps a "thank you" is in order.
OH

I see it as an interesting hobby, not a trouble, but maybe you´re right so I think we shall stop this cause I don´t want to stress anybody.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good test pics Lloydy, excellent results for a zoom.

Now that I have a cfd to samsung NX adapter, I must fix the sticky iris on mine and really take it out for a good run...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, as a walkabout lens when you just want to take one lens - this Vivitar is it. Macro is not it's strong point solely because a one touch zoom isn't as easy as a lens with a one directional focus ring. Use a good solid tripod and its fine. But that's my only criticism of this Vivitar. It's so good that when I saw another one for sale at a reasonable price I bought it, I have Pentax PK and a Canon FD mount versions both by Komine, you can never have too many great lenses. Wink