Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

swap C/Y Zeiss for M-Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: swap C/Y Zeiss for M-Lenses Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I started my legacy lens journey a few years ago with C/Y lenses. They are build sturdy, have good optics and a relative cheap.
I have almost every C/Y lens available.

A month ago I bought my first Leica-M mount lens, the Summicron-C 40mm f2.0.
This lens is so small and light, a joy to use. And the M-adapter is so small.

Yesterday I took my C/Y Zeiss 35/1.4 with me, a brilliant lens, but so big and heavy , especialy with the big adapter.
The same with the C/Y Zeiss 28/2.0, 35-70 Zoom,....

I'm thinking of selling all my C/Y gear and buy Leica-M mount lenses, fe Zeiss Biogon 35/2.0 or some voightlander.

What do you think of this ? The only thing I miss with the summicron is that the minimal focus distance is rather big.

thx,Gert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of C/Y lenses, as my first camera was a Yashica FX-3 Super and I then went on to a Contax 159MM. I tried a 50/1.5 Sonnar ZM earlier in the year at a photography show, and I was more than impressed with it, and I've owned several good Jupiter-3's. It would be helpful to know which mirrorless system you're using, as different systems play better than others, with RF lenses, especially at the wide end.

I would never suggest that you sell off your C/Y lenses and go all in for M mount lenses, as your initial enthusiasm for M mount lenses may be short lived. There is something special about C/Y lenses in the way that they handle, and M lenses are very different animals.

I suggest you dip your toe into the M pool, and try one out for a while, then slowly work your way through the various lenses you fancy. I suspect you will end up with a few M lenses and there will be some C/Y lenses you hold onto.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did exactly the same thing and never regretted it. rangefinder lenses are a marvel in that imo they produce every bit as good in almost all resoects as much larger slr lenses, but are simply much easier and more comfortable to use. if you do it little by littke you can make the assessment yourself without much risk, but im willing to bet you will never look back! good luck!
tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itsfozzy wrote:
I'm a big fan of C/Y lenses, as my first camera was a Yashica FX-3 Super and I then went on to a Contax 159MM. I tried a 50/1.5 Sonnar ZM earlier in the year at a photography show, and I was more than impressed with it, and I've owned several good Jupiter-3's. It would be helpful to know which mirrorless system you're using, as different systems play better than others, with RF lenses, especially at the wide end.

I would never suggest that you sell off your C/Y lenses and go all in for M mount lenses, as your initial enthusiasm for M mount lenses may be short lived. There is something special about C/Y lenses in the way that they handle, and M lenses are very different animals.

I suggest you dip your toe into the M pool, and try one out for a while, then slowly work your way through the various lenses you fancy. I suspect you will end up with a few M lenses and there will be some C/Y lenses you hold onto.

this is a very reasonable message.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the insights, I also think it is wise to do it gradually.

I bought an Canon LTM 50/1.4. Still waiting for the adapter.
I will compare it to the C/Y Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 in a few tests and see what the outcome is.Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:
thx for the insights, I also think it is wise to do it gradually.

I bought an Canon LTM 50/1.4. Still waiting for the adapter.
I will compare it to the C/Y Zeiss Planar 50mm f1.4 in a few tests and see what the outcome is.Smile

Funnily enough, I have one of each! They are very different lenses, and in my view they are complementary rather than one being better than the other. I'm a little biased towards that Planar, as I've owned mine for 30 years.

The Canon is a more "artistic" lens than the Planar, which is something I appreciate in a lens, however, the Canon gets less use than my Planar or more relevantly, my go to rangefinder 50 is my Collapsible Summicron LTM39.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: swap C/Y Zeiss for M-Lenses Reply with quote

asterinex wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I'm thinking of selling all my C/Y gear and buy Leica-M mount lenses, fe Zeiss Biogon 35/2.0 or some voightlander.

What do you think of this ?
thx,Gert

If you should be using the Sony A7 series you might be disappointed with the performance of classical wideangles:
http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/434-sony-a7rii-and-summilux-1-4-35mm-asph-sony-zeiss-fe-2-8-35mm-and-minolta-md-2-8-35mm

Zeiss lenses specially constructed for the A7 series (e. g. the Zeiss Loxia Distagon 2.8/21mm or the Batis Distagon 2.8/18mm), however, are performing extremely well, even wide open on the A7RII!

Stephan