Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon L1 with Canon 50mm f1.5 Sonnar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Canon L1 with Canon 50mm f1.5 Sonnar Reply with quote

I normally shoot with large format, kor dslr's, but I've slowly been getting into old rangefinders.

First with a FED 2, then a 1956 Kiev. Getting the rangefinder bug, I bought a Kodak Medallist, and last week a Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9.

Now today, I just found the rangefinder I've been wanting for a long time, a Canon L1. It comes with a Canon 50mm f1.5 LTM Sonnar. I grabbed it up for $300.00 and I think I got a great deal. The camera and lens look like they are in great condition. It was the seller's grandpa's camera and has been well cared for. I'm sure it will need a CLA, but I think it will be worth it.

Here's a couple of photos from ad. I'll take some better ones when it arrives.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats
I'm also attracted to buying a Canon rangefinder, but it's outside my budget for now.
Be careful of that rangefinder bug, it can be highly addictive. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the camera and lenses yesterday.

The camera wasn't working when I received it, but I took it apart last night and a dusted the first shutter tension, cleaned the slow speed gearing and adjusted the rangefinder.

The lens had the infamous Cannon hAzerbaijan on the back element, but after a careful disassembly and clean, it looks like new again.

Can't wait to run some film through it!

Both the lens and camera are now in good shape. I tested the shutter from 1s to 1/250s (all my audio shutter tester will go up to) and they all seem right.

I might use the lens for a while and resell it to fund more camera purchases. After seeing how the famous 1.5 performs though, I ma just keep it.

Canon L1 and 50mm f1.5 Sonnar by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Canon L1 and 50mm f1.5 Sonnar by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Canon L1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Canon 50mm f1.5 LTM Sonnar by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, beautiful!
Congrats

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I like the Sonnar yet, I need to run some slower film through it to see how well it shoots more wide open.

Here's a few shots from the first test roll run through the camera. Tri-x rated at 320 and developed in HC110 dillution E for 8 minutes.

Canon 50mm F1.5 Sonnar Test 1 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Canon 50mm F1.5 Sonnar Test 2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Canon 50mm F1.5 Sonnar Test 3 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr