Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Takumar 67 105mm 2.4 advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Takumar 67 105mm 2.4 advice Reply with quote

I bought this kit with Pentax 6x7 MLU, metered prism and takumar 105 2.4 at a good price (I think).The body is fully functional and the shutter speeds seems accurate. It needs new seals but this is not a big problem. The prism didn't work at first, but it was an easy repair - one of the power wires was loose and resoldering a new wire and cleaning the pots with alcohol made it fully functional. It might underxpose 1/3-2/3 stop , but I won't recalibrate it because I like a little underexposed photos.
The lens was offered as a bonus, as it has an issue. It suffers from separation in one of the rear groups. I would like to try a DIY recovery. I've read about heating, cleaning and re-gluing elements cemented with canada balsam, but I couldn't find any info about the type of cement used by Pentax in this lens, so I don't know if this method will work. The lens is the second version marked: "Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/6x7 105mm F2.4". Does someone here has any info advice on this matter?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on new camera!

I guess this relatively modern lens uses cement other than balsam.

Maybe somebody over at Pentax Forums knows?

Or try Eric & crew at pentaxs.com

Search mflenses.com and general internet for "lens cement" for info on, for example, de-cementing UV adhesives...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advices

Since I first posted the question, I've loaded a roll of portra 400 to check how bad does that separation does affect the image. I was encouraged to do so by a short test: using a paper towel cardboard tube I've placed the lens in front of my dslr and took a shot (kind of freelensing). Picture taken at f/5.6 conversion from raw to jpeg without any PP.

If the first roll will be ok I'll leave it alone. I plan to buy the 75mm and the 150mm anyway.
If that roll will be bad will see... It seem that working with modern cement and adhesives isn't a diy job.

Thank you once again