Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What developing reel and tank to get?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: What developing reel and tank to get? Reply with quote

I'm interested in processing 35mm and 120 film. Got a changing bag so far but no tank and reel. What do you folks suggest?

Are the soviet bakelite ones a good choice?

Steel or plastic?

-thanks in advance,
1kgcoffee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a plastic patterson tank and reel. Works well enough. 120 film is a little fiddly to get on but with some practice (actually a lot of it) you slowly get better at it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Paterson tank, a Super System 4. I have an old Jobo model 1236 that handles the same amount of film (up to two 35mm or one 120/220), which I'm replacing with the Paterson. The Jobo used to work fine, but its gasket has gotten hard and it leaks now, and Jobo no longer makes a replacement for it. Thankfully, the Paterson doesn't leak.

I also find the reels to be somewhat fiddly for 120, but the Jobo reels were just as bad, if not worse. Practice, practice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Paterson tank.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What developing reel and tank to get? Reply with quote

1kgcoffee wrote:
...Are the soviet bakelite ones a good choice?...

Some of them are. I have 2 bakelite 120 tanks for single film that can use 125mm of solution. They are the best I have for single-use developer (with the exception of my Jobo tanks, also good for single-use developer, but in the CPE2 developing machine).

You may as well consider the day-light loading tanks (a bit more expensive, if you can find them):
http://www.pbase.com/molok/image/156740429
I had an 120 film Rondinax 60 tank. It was very convenient in use (the simplest loading system) and had a very small capacity, also good for single-use developer. Unfortunately now is broken (bakelite). Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Agfa Rondinax 35 & 60, also look out for Kent and Essex versions which are similar but generally cheaper.