Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sonnar 8,5cm f/2 Exa (1937) - catching a rare bird
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Sonnar 8,5cm f/2 Exa (1937) - catching a rare bird Reply with quote

I don't have a time to newspost any new occurence in my home but this one might be interesting enough to get people's attention.

An 8,5cm f/2 prewar (1937) Exakta Sonnar, bought at Leicashop Vienna. Very well serviced. Extremely well built IMO. Optics in rather average condition as kind of expected for soon-to-be-80yo-lens.

According to two i-net sources (Leicashop, Captain Jack) from batch of only 90-100 lenses (I am eager to know more about its background and problematic if any lens-braininac here knows more, as usual).

This lens is an average performer, if not worst, I'd say. It is neither very sharp nor contrasty even shut down around f/8. Soft. Surely not properly coated - VERY light sensitive. I don't blame the optic condition though.

My Biotar 7,5cm f/1.5, about the same age (1940), seems to be a way better performer (and very creative). I am talking about T-coated piece but with horrible front element. I even think my Primoplan 7,5cm f/1.9 made by Hugo Meyer is sharper, less soft and less sensitive.

Having a solid bunch of German prewars to compare, I simply can't stop admiring the oldest Biotar's optic qualities for its age. The rest seems to be just a level(s) below. Saving 18cm Tele-Tessar (I expected nothing from this lens) and especially Triotar 13,5cm (the oldest prewar, not wartime) that is, for some strange reason, a razor-sharp lens even wide-open (never seen a bad Triotar yet).

Apart from that "little thing" the lens is lovely looking, rare and old - that's how I love it. After all, for soft B&W portraits - such a lens could be well suitable.

#6 - PP will be the Sonnar's best friend...

#7 - f/5.6 or f/8, no PP

Marek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Leicashop - a rather pricey source Wink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you have a really expensive J9? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely sell really cheap too and almost always after CLA/clean, so I really don't mind Leicashop to be price-rocketing as far as they are open to negotiate the prices. Plus the chance for the lens being auctioned as dirty dachbodendfund somewhere runs from zero to none actually.

Yes, this lens is basically an overpriced Jupiters' great grandfather. But I have no special plans to photograph with Sonnar/Jupiter 85 optical formula based lenses and never really much cared about common cheap Russian copies, so I never own J-9 for a long time (just selling two "grenade blacks" right now Very Happy )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marek wrote:

Plus the chance for the lens being auctioned as dirty dachbodendfund somewhere runs from zero to none actually.

Probably true. But ... sometimes ... one finds somthing nice: Some years ago i bought a Leica Thambar 2.2/9cm, for a mere CHF 100.--, at a flea market. I knew it was a portrait lens (at at that time i was quite interested in the 1960-1980 portrait lenses), so i bought it - not knowing how sought-after it was. And in the evening, checking the web, i found how pricey it was. I was shocke and still have a bit a bad conscience, but i never saw the seller again ...

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Marek wrote:

Plus the chance for the lens being auctioned as dirty dachbodendfund somewhere runs from zero to none actually.

Probably true. But ... sometimes ... one finds somthing nice: Some years ago i bought a Leica Thambar 2.2/9cm, for a mere CHF 100.--, at a flea market. I knew it was a portrait lens (at at that time i was quite interested in the 1960-1980 portrait lenses), so i bought it - not knowing how sought-after it was. And in the evening, checking the web, i found how pricey it was. I was shocke and still have a bit a bad conscience, but i never saw the seller again ...

Stephan

Bargains just happen if you're nimble enough, rarely, not very often, depends on where you live and where you move, you know.

The chance for bargain of some lens is fairly good, but the particular bargain of 90 copies ever made lens (and definitely under 50 today after almost 80 yrs) chance is like chance to win million dollars in Las Vegas two times in a row Very Happy

I remember similar item to be in auction app. 1 year ago, not very well kept, ending around €550 anyway.

Also, most collectibles purchases turns into a solid bargain after 10, 20 yrs...