Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKKOR beginner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: NIKKOR beginner Reply with quote

Hi. Just got a Nippon Kogaku Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 43~86mm lens. And it won't mount on the adapter. My only other Nikkor is a 36~72mm zoom and it does fit the adapter.
After a close look the only difference I can see is that the bayonet lugs are thicker on the 43~86. Is that generally the case with older Nikkors?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NIKKOR beginner Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Hi. Just got a Nippon Kogaku Zoom-NIKKOR Auto 43~86mm lens. And it won't mount on the adapter. My only other Nikkor is a 36~72mm zoom and it does fit the adapter.
After a close look the only difference I can see is that the bayonet lugs are thicker on the 43~86. Is that generally the case with older Nikkors?

Hi,
could you provide a little bit more detail about your setup? Which camera? Which adapter?

The 43-86mm zoom comes in two flavours: the first non-Ai version and the later updated Ai version
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/4386mm.htm
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/4386mm1.htm

All Nikkor E-series lenses are Ai-s lenses. Ai and Ai-s are very similar. Pre-Ai, Ai, Ai-s are all F mount.
I am able to use all of them on my Fuji X-T10 using a common adapter. Such adapters are designed to support the F mount, which has not changed over time. Those different flavours just design the way the camera interacts with the aperture mechanism. When all these lenses are adapted on a non Nikon system those differences plays no role, as you have anyway to handle the aperture yourself.

Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the 43-86 fit correctly on the appropriate Nikon body? All Nikon adapters, even G adapters, should accept all Nikon lenses from f to AI to AI-S to AF.
It sounds to me as if the problem is a bent flange on the mount of your lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry. It's the older version with silver filter thread.
It's a KIWI Nikon - EOS adatper. It feels a bit tight on the other lens so it's probably best to get a new one. Among my lenses there is one with a similar issue. A Makinon 80-200 Konica AR that can not be mounted on the adapter, but it fits on a Konica body. Might be a similar thing.

I also noticed the screws on the Nikkor has clear signs of being tampered with but they were all tightened.

Unfortunately I don't have a Nikon body to test with. Nothing looks bent on the mount though.

Here is a photo with the 43-86 on the left and 36-72 on the right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one on the left is pre-AI, and the right looks like AIS, they should both mount on an adapter assuming the adapter is designed right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then new adapter it is!