Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Auto-Revuenon 50mm f1.9 - made by?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Auto-Revuenon 50mm f1.9 - made by? Reply with quote

Help please if you know.
Auto Revuenons seem to have a mixed parentage, but I am interested in the origins of this particular lens and any feedback you may have on its IQ and bokeh. It is in PK mount
Many thanks
OH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I may have found the maker - looks similar to Auto Chinon.
Anyone agree?
Any comment on quality?
OH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the M42 version and have not tested it yet with the A7. I shall do it and give some feedback. I can just say that it is sharper in the corners than the Sony kit zoom 28/70 at 5,6. I will compare with my SMC 55.
It is light (some plastic in it) and compact, focusing is easy, nice to use.
My sample is little bit yellowish .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have an identical one. Did some testing on my NX-20 and it seemed to be your average fast 50mm lens. Nothing too special. I did like the bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
OK, I may have found the maker - looks similar to Auto Chinon.
Anyone agree?
Any comment on quality?
OH

Chinon weren't a lensmaker, they bought their lenses in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon and Revue often shared the same models. Sometimes even the appearence was the same like my Auto Chinon 35mm f2.8 which exists as Revuenon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Auto Chino is the same, it has the distinctive oval focus mark, but the maker is a mystery. It's a decent lens though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a stab at it and say Tomioka. They made Chinon-branded lenses as well, in addition to others.

OH, what's the serial number?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks for the feedback.

frenched wrote:
I'll take a stab at it and say Tomioka. They made Chinon-branded lenses as well, in addition to others.

OH, what's the serial number?

Good question, I can't find it on any of the images so I am unsure.
I don't have the lens to check it.

I am puzzled by Chinon. I remember Chinon branding on things other than cameras - I had a Chinon CD drive in a computer once.
Found this on another web page but can't verify it:
Chinon was originally Sanshin Seikakusho in Chino City (thus Chinon) founded in 1948, and made camera and lens components for Olympus, Ricoh and Yashica. Made its first whole lens in 1959. From 1972, Chinon made products under their own name: their optical division made lenses for their cameras and for video and movie cameras. GAF, Argus, Agfa, Prinzflex, Revue (and even 2 late non-Swiss Alpa's) are rebadging of Chinon products for export distribution.

Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Revuenon 50mm f1.9 - made by? Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
...feedback you may have on its IQ and bokeh...

Hi Oldhand,
except of the mount, my M42 Auto-Revuenon 50mm f1.9 seems to be a twin of your lens.
For the bokeh at F4 and F5.6, have a look at first two images in my previous posts in the Revuenon 50mm f/1.9 and Auto Revuenon 50/1.9 threads.

I cannot find any photo taken with the lens fully open, but if I remember correctly my initial tests, it is quite sharp in the center of frame and quite soft in the corners (still better than, let's say Helios 44-2 at F2.0).

I use it on Sony A500 (12Mpix APS-C) and I like it a lot. Small, sharp more than enough (stopped down a bit), neutral colors. Somebody would call its bokeh boring, somebody ordinary. However I say: Isn't it exactly what we need now and then? Wink
Michal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-Revuenon 50mm f1.9 - made by? Reply with quote

hpmickey wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
...feedback you may have on its IQ and bokeh...

Hi Oldhand,
except of the mount, my M42 Auto-Revuenon 50mm f1.9 seems to be a twin of your lens.
For the bokeh at F4 and F5.6, have a look at first two images in my previous posts in the Revuenon 50mm f/1.9 and Auto Revuenon 50/1.9 threads.

I cannot find any photo taken with the lens fully open, but if I remember correctly my initial tests, it is quite sharp in the center of frame and quite soft in the corners (still better than, let's say Helios 44-2 at F2.0).

I use it on Sony A500 (12Mpix APS-C) and I like it a lot. Small, sharp more than enough (stopped down a bit), neutral colors. Somebody would call its bokeh boring, somebody ordinary. However I say: Isn't it exactly what we need now and then? Wink
Michal

Thank you Michal for the feedback and the links.
I have seen the first before, but I did not get any google links to the second, so it was new to me.
Clearly, your lens is very good in spite of its focus issue.
There is nothing wrong with the bokeh in this shot either:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have Chinon Auto Reflex 28 / 2.8 and Chinon MC 300 / 5.6 both in M42 ( and a second Auto Chinon MC 50 / 1.7 in PK ) and none of these lenses share any similarity at all. It might be they are different ages and therefore different styles and materials as fashion and technology changed, but there was no house style at Chinon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a short test this morning and this lens is clearly inferior to the SMC 55/2 on an A7. Only the center is sharp enough.
It could be my sample but I doubt that the majority of opinions that you find about this lens were made on FF cameras.
I have read on a german site ( Revue used to belong to Quelle) that this generation of Revuenon was build by Cosinon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
I made a short test this morning and this lens is clearly inferior to the SMC 55/2 on an A7. Only the center is sharp enough.
It could be my sample but I doubt that the majority of opinions that you find about this lens were made on FF cameras.
I have read on a german site ( Revue used to belong to Quelle) that this generation of Revuenon was build by Cosinon.

Thank you Phillipe - you are probably right about the impressions coming from this lens mated to APS-C cameras.
Appreciated
OH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very good lens IMHO. No plastic, only metal. It goes under the same maker as 1.4/50mm & 1.7/50mm PK CHINON (AGFA, Revuenon). See here to distinguish between COSINA (Porst) and RICOH: http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-pk-bayonet-1-4-50mm-alternatives-chinon-cosina-ricoh-t60018.html

I still play with idea CHINON made these himself. Lenses use the same smoothest focusing grease as CHINON post Tomioka 1.4/55mm (MC color coated) so they cannot be mistaken for COSINA products that tend to dry.

Samples wide-open,full frame. Click for full size:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Pancolart! I was looking for that thread, i posted a pic of my f/1.4 version (plus some samples) in there, the design of mine is equal to the f/1.9 version Oldhand posted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are talking about another lens 50/1.9 not this 50/1.4. This range was 1,9/1.7/1.4.
About the 55/1.4 which a totally different lens , I own a Cosinon which is the same lens as the Revuenon 55/1.4.
I thought that Chinon did not produce its own lenses .
And what about Ricoh ? Did they produce lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
We are talking about another lens 50/1.9 not this 50/1.4. This range was 1,9/1.7/1.4.
About the 55/1.4 which a totally different lens , I own a Cosinon which is the same lens as the Revuenon 55/1.4.
I thought that Chinon did not produce its own lenses .
And what about Ricoh ? Did they produce lenses?

There is a possible transition between 1.4/55mm CHINON late MC (not the one you mention, but the one i have as avatar photo) and PK CHINON 1.4/50mm. Both have completely flat rear (quite a rare feature in late manual focus lenses production plus genuine smooth focusing not found in similar lenses). 1.9/50mm and 1.7/50mm PK CHINON belong to the same family.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@memetph: did you look at the thread mentioned by Pancolart? The lenses mentioned there are from the same range/producer as the f/1.9 in this thread, the f/1.4 50mm, and not the 55mm.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I read it.
I might be wrong , but from all those names I think only Cosinon is a lens producer.
Details of construction as screws ring and ,why not , grease can perhaps help you to identify the same origin but certainly not to differentiate.
The japanese industry was wellknown for its flexibilty and its myriad of subcontractants. Changing screws, grease, ring or details of design was surely no problem for an japanese ingineer.
The Pancolart's thread is a nice document . Nevertheless I am not convinced by the conclusions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would not surprise me if Cosina were the manufacturer of these lenses. Although the older ones (55mm) were made by Tomioka, also a producer, they even put their name on some brands like Chinon-Tomioka.

People often think or feel like Cosina is "not a good brand" and makes inferior lenses, a third party lens maker for low budget users. That may be the thruth for some Cosina lenses, but sure not all of them! They have made bad ones, so did Tokina, but Cosina also produces lenses for Zeiss nowadays. I guess you may say they know what they are doing.

I have not used my 1.4/50 besides the few test samples in Pancolart's thread mentioned above. I need to clean the aperture blades and take it out some time, it seemed to be a very nice lens. And yes, it might just be a Cosina, but so what?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread doesn't have a pic any more

This is my copy: Auto Revuenon 50mm 1:1.9 by The lens profile, on Flickr

It is pretty sharp wide open and has a nice low contrast rendering (can't stop it down yet). I think made by the same manufacturer as the k-mount Chinon 50's might be Tomioka or the company that took over their lens legacy when Tomioka disappeared from consumer lenses. (Might be Cosina).

Close Bokeh by The lens profile, on Flickr