Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica Vario-Elmar-R 3.5/35-70mm (1. version by Minolta)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Leica Vario-Elmar-R 3.5/35-70mm (1. version by Minolta) Reply with quote

Hi,

got this lens few days ago at my dear dealer for a good price. Tried it out today with Canon 1DsMkIII and adapter to find out whether it is worth for conversion to Nikon F mount or not.

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it is, isn't it ? Smile

Why do you want to convert it to Nikon F mount ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
and it is, isn't it ? Smile

Why do you want to convert it to Nikon F mount ?

Hi Olivier,

I made some other shots this evening and I will sleep a night over this problem. At the moment I believe, yes - it is.

I decided to use my Canon only with the EF lenses (for situations with no space for experiments), the Nikon with the converted Leica lenses and some older Nikkor lenses and the K-5 mainly with my M42 arsenal or if I need high ISO.

Cool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

Hi Olivier,

I made some other shots this evening and I will sleep a night over this problem. At the moment I believe, yes - it is.

I decided to use my Canon only with the EF lenses (for situations with no space for experiments), the Nikon with the converted Leica lenses and some older Nikkor lenses and the K-5 mainly with my M42 arsenal or if I need high ISO.

Cool

Oh, I understand !
Sort the technical possibilities so that you go quicker to the point and improve knowledge and technique. Efficiency research ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a lens I would love to add to my collection. You should keep it, Rolf.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens - I have limited knowledge about the different versions though [I usually get higher than 3xxxxxx]

It's interesting how you decided to convert the R-lenses to Nikon mount ... I thought it would be easier to throw an adapter on the EOS and use it without performing the surgery to change the mount for every R-lens you have

I had converted most of my R-glass to the F mount but now I have a 5D and I find it so much easier to use M42/R-lenses

But hey - the world's a big place and what's a rainbow without different colors, eh? Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be the same lens as the Minolta MD 35-70? I tried one of those in Paris and it seemed very good indeed. The asking price was a bit steep in that shop, but I'm still thinking of getting one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hari wrote:
It's a great lens - I have limited knowledge about the different versions though [I usually get higher than 3xxxxxx]

It's interesting how you decided to convert the R-lenses to Nikon mount ... I thought it would be easier to throw an adapter on the EOS and use it without performing the surgery to change the mount for every R-lens you have

I had converted most of my R-glass to the F mount but now I have a 5D and I find it so much easier to use M42/R-lenses

But hey - the world's a big place and what's a rainbow without different colors, eh? Very Happy

Yes, of course is it easier to throw an adapter on the EOS and that is it. But personally I believe that the Leica lenses do a better job with the Nikon D700 and it is easier for focusing.

I bought a lot of new mounts in China without any problem and for the conversion I need 5 minutes - and all are reversible within 5 minutes.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Would it be the same lens as the Minolta MD 35-70? I tried one of those in Paris and it seemed very good indeed. The asking price was a bit steep in that shop, but I'm still thinking of getting one.

It seems so Peter. The aperture ring looks like the same.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I need this time 10 minutes because I have forgotten the ball bearing under the mount and must remove it again.

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

during my today morning walk a first shot with the converted lens and Nikon D700. Focal length was 70mm

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am very impressed with this picture, especially from a zoom, Rolf. If the lens was susceptible to CA then your shot of the tree branches would have highlighted it, but I can't see very much, if any.

You've convinced me to try the Minolta version of the 35-70/constant 3.5. I'm considering this one Click here to see on Ebay, do you know if it compares to your lens in any way? Perhaps the dates will help, do you know when yours was produced? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, below is a link for you to a Leica site. Pls look for this lens (there is a pic avalable) The aperture ring looks similar, but the rest is Leica like.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.de/index.php/Leica_R-Vario-Objektive

The year of production : 1984

Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rolf. It looks like yours is the 1st version, E60, built in Japan.

I'm going to take a chance on it. The date is about right - the Minolta is from 1983, and both lenses have 8 elements/7 groups. Here are some details (no. 63)
http://tinyurl.com/2d9beyp

Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is MTF and resolution chart for Minolta Zoom 35-70/3.5. Sorry large image.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My samples:

with Fuji Reala:

with EOS 5D:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added from this morning 3 pics.

1. at 35mm and a little bit cropping for pano style, 2. 100 % crop at 35mm and last one 100 % crop at 70mm

Thanks for your pics koji. Seems to be a good performer with the 5D too.

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Koji for the samples, very impressive. The MTF charts show quite a marked fall-off at the edges, is that true in practice?

I bought the lens and it's on its way! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a very good lens. Would like to a full size image.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Leica Vario-Elmar-R 3.5/35-70mm (1. version by Minolta) Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Hi,

got this lens few days ago at my dear dealer for a good price. Tried it out today with Canon 1DsMkIII and adapter to find out whether it is worth for conversion to Nikon F mount or not.

Wink

great shots,
does this lens pair with M9 rangefinder?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tardegardo.

This is a Leica-R mount so it won't fit Leica rangefinders.

https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-camera/leica-r-system

Have a nice day. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strictly speaking , it can be "fitted" with a native Leitz adapter, but can not be coupled to the rangefinder nor will it trigger the correct framelines, so it is not as useful as a native mount lens on the M-mount.

p.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Paul for the precision. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lens, doesn't get as much love from the leicaphiles because of the Minolta connection, it's one of the few zooms that I really like, that said, it does have 2 things that reduce it's usability to me, 1) it's MFD is a bit long. 2) that it isn't 28-85.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/leicar357035/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an owner of Minolta macro version, I love this lens, the minus is a barrel at wide angle and pillow at long end. Not very strong however, 50 mm is clean of distortion. I find this lens on flea market three years ago for $8.