Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Anyone have a Canon 35mm f/1.5 LTM?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a Canon 35mm f/1.5 LTM? Reply with quote

Does anyone have this lens? Thoughts on it?
The photos that I've seen from it have that extra something.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/lens/s/data/19-35/s_35_15.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used the 1.5/35 (nor am I likely to at the $700-$1000 prices asked for it. I have used a number of Canon rangefinder lenses from 28mm to 135mm and they have all been good.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you also checked out the f1.8/35? I believe the f1.5 and f1.8 have similar rendering, the later of course selling for less

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one either, but I did get to borrow one in pre-digital days. It's 'better' than the first of the Leitz 35/1.4 Summilux lenses (the chrome finish one) giving a cleaner image wide open. The later Leitz 35/1.4 (still pre-aspheric) is 'better' than the Canon, but not by very much - at least on good old Kodachrome. I owned both those Leitz lenses at different times. I'd happily have swapped the chrome one for the Canon, but not the black one.

If you like the look of what you've seen from it, then it may be worth getting even at today's high prices. It would certainly make a nice companion for your 50/1.4 . . but then you'd really have to get the 85/1.8 and then the 100/2, which is probably the most spectacular of all the Canon rangefinder lenses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but then you'd really have to get the 85/1.8 and then the 100/2, which is probably the most spectacular of all the Canon rangefinder lenses

I don't shoot a lot at the long end, so happy with a good Jupiter-9 85/2 and the 135/3.5. I had a Nikon 105mm f/2.5 and rarely used it, so I don't feel it's a necessity. Luckily. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
but then you'd really have to get the 85/1.8 and then the 100/2, which is probably the most spectacular of all the Canon rangefinder lenses.

haha, those two I have. Would love the 35/1.5 though. Very different animal, early high speed 35 with expected quirks, not so modern as the 85 and 100.

A good copy of the Canon would be really something to play with. Smile

Looks like 700 will get you a good one, which if you look at the cost of a Leitz v1 Lux, is really not so outrageous. Build looks like the 50/1.2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting one to go with my Canon S 50/1.2 http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/lens/s/data/50-85/s_50_12.html but I don't really need more lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the prices of the Canon 35mm f/1.5's I could find being kind of out there, that led me down a rabbit hole of options ... wanted very small, quality, fast-ish looked at Leica's ($ca-ching), Konica UC-Hexanon & M-Hexanon (UC especially is gorgeous and amazing), Voigtlander 35mm Nokton Classic f/1.4 & Nokton f/1.5 & Color-Skopar 35/2.5 & Ultron f/1.7 (there's something about the rendering of all of these I don't like), Zeiss 35mm f/2 & f/2.8 C ZM & Loxia 35mm f/2 (the Zeiss' don't jump out at me) ...

... ended up going for a secondhand Leica Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5, for less than most of the Canon's were, and half the price of the UC-Hexanons I could find.

Reasons were: size, balanced render (modern v classic), great bokeh and in/out-of-focus transition, contrast, build quality, seems like an equally great lens for both colour and B/W, resolution, ergonomics, flare control, availability, and (oddly for a Leica lens) price. Paid approx US$1K.

Pretty sure this lens will be a lifelong keeper.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

Although, at least for me an interesting decision. Wink
Looking forward to some test shots with your new lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looking forward to some test shots with your new lens.

Think I'll skip the test shots now, and go straight to actual shots. Smile

It was interesting to me too! Didn't end up where I thought I would at all, but it was where everything pointed me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to put into words what stood out. I think it's the way it realistically renders depth, while also emphasising each layer of depth - when you hit the focus and nail the composition. It helps to bring out exactly what the photographer wanted - if they knew, and if it is actually there.

Can you see what I mean in the pool here? Maybe it's just me.
https://www.flickr.com/groups/summarit35mm/pool/

The way it handles light at night too seems very clean and defined. There doesn't seem to be the bleeding/coma/ghosting that a lot of the other lenses seem to have to varying degrees.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canon 35mm 1.5. Also, the 19mm 3.5, 28mm 2.8 and 3.5. Used them for many years on my film rangefinder cameras. They are all well used; I was a photojournalist in SE. Asia for many years, covering a lot of tough situations. But these lenses were always delightful. The Canon lens hood for the 35mm 1.5 blocked the lower right corner of the rangefinder window, but one worked around things like that without even mentioning it.

The 35mm 1.5...people tried to buy it off my camera on the street even back in the '70s, in Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong and Paris. Such a beautiful thing. I always thought these lenses every bit the equal of Leitz ones, and had both to compare. Now, the Canons are my arsenal below 50mm, then the 50 Summilux, 85mm 2.0 Nikkor, 90mm 4.0 Elmar. We are very fortunate to have these milestones of accomplishment to work with.

I did not know they were selling for high prices, but if someone had money to place into these lenses...they are worthy. Mine have had no special care and work as new, every one of them. There'll never be more like them, and I'll cherish what they did for me till the day I die.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agiyo wrote:
I have a Canon 35mm 1.5. Also, the 19mm 3.5, 28mm 2.8 and 3.5. Used them for many years on my film rangefinder cameras. They are all well used; I was a photojournalist in SE. Asia for many years, covering a lot of tough situations. But these lenses were always delightful. The Canon lens hood for the 35mm 1.5 blocked the lower right corner of the rangefinder window, but one worked around things like that without even mentioning it.

The 35mm 1.5...people tried to buy it off my camera on the street even back in the '70s, in Seoul, Singapore, Hong Kong and Paris. Such a beautiful thing. I always thought these lenses every bit the equal of Leitz ones, and had both to compare. Now, the Canons are my arsenal below 50mm, then the 50 Summilux, 85mm 2.0 Nikkor, 90mm 4.0 Elmar. We are very fortunate to have these milestones of accomplishment to work with.

I did not know they were selling for high prices, but if someone had money to place into these lenses...they are worthy. Mine have had no special care and work as new, every one of them. There'll never be more like them, and I'll cherish what they did for me till the day I die.

Great to have you here with us and thanks for sharing your experience!
Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small