Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Tele-Tessar 4/135 QBM --> Canon Eos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Tele-Tessar 4/135 QBM --> Canon Eos Reply with quote

Hi all I just wanted to share with you my little mod which I'm pretty proud of Very Happy One of my relatives has been a photo enthusiast for all his life and he's now a Nikon guy, so he got some extra old lenses which he couldn't use.
So, let's get to the real stuff.

Not exactly a bokehlicious diaphragm

This is the new bayonet mount

In order to mount this I had to disassembly the mechanical part of the lens. It's a way more complicated than some other lenses! Damn Zeiss, you hate me.
I removed the diaphragm mechanism and replaced it with... a rubber band! (don't ban me because of that please Laughing) So now it works just as a normal preselection one.
I have been forced to do so as the part I needed to remove was holding some other pieces so this was the best way, I hope.
It wasn't easy to mount back again everything but after some days I found a threaded part that could be unscrewed and finally I had been able to fix it. For future reference: it's the part closest to the camera when mounted, before the aperture ring. It's a standard right handed thread so keep trying if you happen to be stuck like me Wink

The final result on the camera (craptacular photo taken with my phone Embarassed)

No samples ATM, the weather isn't good and I'm not a good photographer Wink
Of course all the photos but the last one have been taken with a mf lens, the evergreen Helios 44.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
The 4/135 is mostly underrated, it's a very nice and compact lens, and Your's is HFT multicoated, congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!
The 4/135 is mostly underrated, it's a very nice and compact lens, and Your's is HFT multicoated, congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to use a metal spring than a rubber band...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckrider wrote:
Well done!

Thanks. IMHO it's really really sharp from corner to corner. I'll post some pictures
calvin83 wrote:
It is better to use a metal spring than a rubber band...

Of course it's better in general, but not in this case Sad There was so little space that it'd have been really hard to find a spring with these specs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised you had to disassemble the lens; I have adapted several QBM lenses to EF mount and it is fairly trivial to do.

I start from a M42/EF adapter and rework the adapter on the lathe to fit the back of the lens. I remove the three screws that fasten the bayonet plate and put the modified adapter in its place. The nice thing is that it also actuates the aperture pin so that aperture works in full manual.

Picture of a Rolleinar 2.8/135:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same with a rollei 85 f2.8 but the lens he is working with is a zeiss and likely needs more involved action.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feanolas wrote:
I am surprised you had to disassemble the lens; I have adapted several QBM lenses to EF mount and it is fairly trivial to do.

I start from a M42/EF adapter and rework the adapter on the lathe to fit the back of the lens. I remove the three screws that fasten the bayonet plate and put the modified adapter in its place. The nice thing is that it also actuates the aperture pin so that aperture works in full manual.

Picture of a Rolleinar 2.8/135:

As jamaeolus said, this works with rollei lens, or maybe with some other zeiss lenses but not this one. It had 2 pins which had to be moved in order to keep the blades closed at the selected aperture, so I had to open it and place a rubber band to hold them. They are not in a fixed position but move a bit on the circumference as the diaphragm is smaller and smaller Smile
PS Sorry for the embarrassingly late answer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you are doing it in so complicated way? There are plenty of adapters Rolley/Eos on e-bay, cost in the range of $5-8.-, all of my Rolley set of lenses are converted to Canon and Sony A7r via those adapters. Actually, only Konica and Minolta glass can't be feted to Canons, but absolutely all lenses can be mounted on the mirrorless cameras.