Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ilford FP4 on Canon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Ilford FP4 on Canon Reply with quote

A friend of mine has moved over completely to digital and has gifted to me his stock of 35mm film. Most of this is quite old and even though it has been refrigerated, I am finding that the emulsion is fragile and creates spotting problems in development. Not dust spots, but deterioration of the emulsion is what I am guessing.
Anyway, as I work my way through these, I am finding that there is a lot of post digitising work on spot removal.
Still, I am enjoying the film experience once more.
Here are some images shot recently.
Canon F-1 and a variety of FD glass - 20mm, 80-200, and 85mm
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ilford FP4 on Canon Reply with quote

[quote="Oldhand"]A friend of mine has moved over completely to digital and has gifted to me his stock of 35mm film. Most of this is quite old and even though it has been refrigerated, I am finding that the emulsion is fragile and creates spotting problems in development. Not dust spots, but deterioration of the emulsion is what I am guessing.
Anyway, as I work my way through these, I am finding that there is a lot of post digitising work on spot removal.
Still, I am enjoying the film experience once more.
Here are some images shot recently.
Canon F-1 and a variety of FD glass - 20mm, 80-200, and 85mm

Like 1

Thanks for the memory!!

Just found a cardboard box of Fuji (assorted 200/400 ASA), some Ilford HP5, and a few Kodak TMAX 100ASA B&W films. They had been mislaid owing to house repairs and have been in out of the fridge over the past decade or so. I put them back in the fridge after finding them. Very few studios do B&W processing in India and none in my town. Anyway, the find encourages me to take out the two Pentax MX bodies for the last time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Chhayanat
It is a good film as is HP5.
You will enjoy shooting It I think.
Here are a few more from the same roll.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more from this roll.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Two more from this roll.
OH

Like 1

Was a post-processing software used on these scans from the FP4 roll? If so, which one was it? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Edgar and Chhayanat .
Yes Chhayanat , I import into Lightroom and after some exposure adjustment I usually finalise in NIK Siver Effex before I bring it back to LR for finishing touches.
It is a bit like choosing the correct grade of paper in the darkroom and then using dodging and burning in to gain selective local exposure control.
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Thank you Edgar and Chhayanat .
Yes Chhayanat , I import into Lightroom and after some exposure adjustment I usually finalise in NIK Siver Effex before I bring it back to LR for finishing touches.
It is a bit like choosing the correct grade of paper in the darkroom and then using dodging and burning in to gain selective local exposure control.
Cheers
Tom

Thanks. I have been been fooling around with NIK Silver Efex and thought I saw it in #2.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally, I take the odd portrait.
This picture of my friend Charlie was taken on the same roll.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice images!

intriguing compositions in the nature shots, well done!

also, interesting tonality in the shots. did you use any filters (yellow/orange perhaps?)?

how do the raw scans look like?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_zeel wrote:
very nice images!

intriguing compositions in the nature shots, well done!

also, interesting tonality in the shots. did you use any filters (yellow/orange perhaps?)?

how do the raw scans look like?

Thank you for those kind words.
The landscapes were taken on a morning with very heavy dew and were mostly made pre-dawn and a little later.
No filters on this occasion other than UV which sits on the lenses permanently.
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a lot of contrast and broad range of tones.

how did you develop the film?

and what effect/character contributes the NIK Silver Efex?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_zeel wrote:
quite a lot of contrast and broad range of tones.

how did you develop the film?

and what effect/character contributes the NIK Silver Efex?

This film was developed normally in RO9 50:1 for 12minutes at 20 degrees C
Changed to positive in LR then each frame was tweaked in NIK until it showed what I saw that morning.
Final adjustments in LR before export.
Cheers
Tom