Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this Hexanon 28mm a good lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Is this Hexanon 28mm a good lens? Reply with quote

I know there are both new and old 28mm Hexanon lenses and one of them should be better than the other, so I need to know more abouth this lens which is for sale in my country. Is this a good lens?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First. Almost all hexanon lenses are good to very good.

Second. This one you are showing, is a very good one.

Third. One of the very good 28 mm lens.

Forth. I had it. Really good, man.

Good purchase!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this Hexanon 28mm a good lens? Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
I know there are both new and old 28mm Hexanon lenses and one of them should be better than the other, so I need to know more abouth this lens which is for sale in my country. Is this a good lens?

Unless there is something technically the matter with it, this should not only be a good lens, but an excellent one. That's the 7/7 construction 28mm Hexanon, which generally passes for being better than the compact version that followed it and has a 5/5 construction. With one exception. The later version has slightly better coatings. However, the specific lens on the photo probably has coatings which are as just as good because, judging by its serial number, it was made in the second half of 1977 (it probably has '7K', '7O', or '7N stamped under the rear lens cap) and that was the last year of production for this lens, which had been in production for 13 years and was replace almost immediately by the newer version. In other words, of all lenses 28mm Hexanon of 7/7 construction, this one will have the best coatings. IMO, this lens, from the last couple of years of production, is probably the best Hexanon 28 you can get (unless you have $500 for the UC 28.1,8 ) Smile.
Here is a description of all 28mm Hexanons I wrote a couple of years ago: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1404619.html#1404619

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture is taken with this lens.

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a few hexanons but i love them all! this one is not in my collection...... yet. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
First. Almost all hexanon lenses are good to very good.

Second. This one you are showing, is a very good one.

Third. One of the very good 28 mm lens.

Forth. I had it. Really good, man.

Good purchase!!!!!

+10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens is on sale at https://m.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=69671795 but the person doesn´t want to sell only the lens without the other bad stuff in addition and included shipping it will cost me over $100.- so I think that will be to expencive for a lens like this.

But what about the lens which is for sale at this ebay site http://www.ebay.de/itm/3-5-28-Original-KONICA-HEXANON-AR-1-3-5-f-28-mm-mit-Konica-AR-Bajonett-/351969660500?hash=item51f306ce54:g:FSAAAOSwopRYfif7?

It looks different and has not a serial number on the front.

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:

It looks different and has not a serial number on the front.[/url]

You are right, $100 is a lot to pay for this lens, not that it's not good enough, but it's available for half this amount if you're willing to shop around. It's not at all a rare lens. The one in your link is the later compact 5/5 version. It is a very good lens and although the first 7/7 version is optically better, don't expect to see the difference at first glance or on a computer monitor. If you need a 28mm quickly I think this one can be had for $20-40, and I'm sure you will be very pleased with it if you get one. But if you have the time, I recommend you wait for the 7/7 one and try to get a late production model (with a production code beginning with 6 or 7 - it will have a rubber covered focusing ring).

The 28mm Hexanon on this auction is the one I mean: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Konica-Minolta-Autoreflex-T3-35mm-Kamera-samt-28MM-Hexanon-Objektiv-gut-/201803919171?hash=item2efc736f43:g:VPwAAOSwo4pYkwK7.
This lens is from November 1975. That's pretty late in production, considering it first came out in 1965. Not quite 1977, but very close.

On this auction you can see an earlier version of the 7/7 lens (both versions are optically identical, with the exception of the coatings):
http://www.ebay.de/itm/RARE-Konica-Hexanon-28mm-f-3-5-wide-angle-/152419241167?hash=item237ce50ccf:g:3MAAAOSwLF1X-hg6
This version was made from 1966 to about 1968 and it is, indeed, rather uncommon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eriksen wrote:
This lens is on sale at https://m.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=69671795 but the person doesn´t want to sell only the lens without the other bad stuff in addition and included shipping it will cost me over $100.- so I think that will be to expencive for a lens like this.

100$ is much too much - they can be bought here in Switzerland for 5 ... 15 CHF / EUR / USD.
The 7-lens Hexanon 3.5/28mm is a nice lens for architecture, since distortion is quite low. It's performance is good, but not outstanding, however - comparable to the 5-lens (!) Minolta MD 3.5/28mm for instance.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex 28/3.5 - very good lens Like 1 small (+Ricoh GXR)

[more]

Фотографии в альбоме «Konica Hexanon 28/3.5», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

[more]

Фотографии в альбоме «Konica Hexanon 28/3.5», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have 6 different Minolta 28mm lenses and both the 5 and the 7 element Konica 28. Among the Minolta lenses is also the 2.0/28.

All of these have been on my camera for normal, unscientific everyday photography. There were 2 lenses that impressed me when i got home and started looking at the results: the Rokkor-SI 2.5/28 and the 7 element Konica 3.5/28.
Don't get me wrong: the others are good too, but these 2 have a certain something that makes you go "wow". The highly regarded Minolta 7 element 2.8/28 is very good as well, but (i almost not dare saying it) maybe just a bit boring.

For me that is what counts in the end: looking at your own pictures and having a little wow-moment! And sometimes you get that moment with lenses that just might not be "so super-good" in a scientific test.

My samples with the 7/7 Konica: http://forum.mflenses.com/konica-hexanon-28mm-f-3-5-7-7-version-t71738,highlight,%2Bkonica.html

And here's one from the Rokkor-SI 2.5/28:

Choose the bright side! by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does this compares to the Nikon 28mm 2.8?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing in mind I paid $15 for my 7 elements copy, I don't think any lens at that price can beat it Wink

Now my drawer is full of hexanon lenses, I love them !