Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

looking for affordable spot exposure meter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: looking for affordable spot exposure meter Reply with quote

Looks like I'm getting an old film camera later this summer, and besides, the metering on my Monochrom is also a bit pedestrian. Therefore looking for an exposure meter, preferably a spot exposure meter, so I can decide the exposure based on the main subject of my image.

Any recommendations?

Would prefer something analog Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know budget. I liked Asahi Spotmeter. DSLR have spot meter mode. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Soligor Digital Spot Sensor and the Minolta Spot Meter M. The Minolta is more sophisticated but the Soligor is much easier to use and IMHO more than good enough. I only bought the additional Minolta one because it was a great bargain (almost for free). However, both are digital. I consider digital better and easier to use compared to analog, but that's possibly a matter of taste. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that most spotmeters have held their value fairly well over the years. I have a Pentax Spotmeter V that I bought back in about 1990 for about $70. Nowadays I see prices for it well over $200.

Seems to me that, if you're into finding a budget spotmeter, one option open to you will be to buy a camera that has a spotmeter mode, a model that might not cost all that much. The Canon T90 comes to mind. I bought my copy -- everything works on it by the way -- for about $90 off eBay. One of the nice things about the T90 is it will do spot averaging, where you can take several spot readings and it will average them for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
...one option open to you will be to buy a camera that has a spotmeter mode...

I fully agree.
I have a Sekonic L508 Zoom Master which is a top-of-the-range modern spotmeter but in the (unfortunately) rare situations when I shoot film I prefer to use a Pentax Optio-750z camera in the spotmeter mode. This is a camera designed from the start to be used as a spot-meter, if needed. The benefits are that you can use the zoom to spot very precisely the meterring circle, you can make the average of 2 metered spots and it is pocketable (smaller than the Sekonic). My Sekonic has other advantages in professional use but I almost never really needed them. That's why I'll probably sell it soon and only keep the Optio.

I had a Soligor analog spotmeter, as well. In low light it was difficult to read, the sensibility in the deep shadows areas was not that great, it didn't make the average of more measurements and was bigger (not poketable) than both of my other options. That's why I sold it.

I'll recommend the Optio-750z as it only costs ~40-50$, it's pocketable and does everything a good spotmeter does. Another additional benefit is that you can always take a digital test-shoot of your film shoot, as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:

...I prefer to use a Pentax Optio-750z camera in the spotmeter mode. This is a camera designed from the start to be used as a spot-meter, if needed. The benefits are that you can use the zoom to spot very precisely the meterring circle, you can make the average of 2 metered spots and it is pocketable (smaller than the Sekonic)....
I'll recommend the Optio-750z as it only costs ~40-50$, it's pocketable and does everything a good spotmeter does. Another additional benefit is that you can always take a digital test-shoot of your film shoot, as well.

Interesting.
Is this the only version of the Optio that will work? Or any of them that has the spot-meter mode?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK yes, few years ago when I've searched for a camera with a spot-meter mode it was the only Pentax model with this feature.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
AFAIK yes, few years ago when I've searched for a camera with a spot-meter mode it was the only Pentax model with this feature.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for contributing with your experience, highly appreciated!

dan_ wrote:

This sounds like a reaally good idea!

I just checked a bit more about this camera, it's an interesting camera in its own right, so it feeds my itch for CCD-camera's, one of my vices besides lenses Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1

My old cellphone has camera with spot metering. There are many ligh light metering apps...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

My old cellphone has camera with spot metering. There are many ligh light metering apps...
Well, I don't have a phone that supports apps ... but it has a 0.3MP camera Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Well, I don't have a phone that supports apps ... but it has a 0.3MP camera Mr. Green

Ok, my phone might be newer. Lol

Samsung Galaxy S5, a few years old. $50 on ebay. 12MP.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to this one:

A local retiring photographer was selling some gear. I got a Minolta View Meter 9. Quick&easy to use, built to last.

Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats
Glad to hear a conclusion to this topic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a simple and rather cheap Pentax Optio 50.
Was ever too slow for regular use as a pocket camera.
But now I saw the comment on the 750 I digged up the manual of the 50.
And it has a spotmetering mode too! Happy Dog
Have to try it. Thanks for making me curious!

But ... the camera doesn't deliver a useful result of the metering!
This is no spotmeter for me!

Last edited by Minolfan on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For normal metering I use a Gossen Polysix Electronic for years.
Somewhat big, but easy to use with metering in 30, 20 or 10 degrees.
A little viewfinder to see what you are metering.
Working on AA batteries!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure if this one falls within your "affordable" requirements but I have had a Pentax Spotmeter V for close to 40 years and it is still going strong. They are often found on Ebay for $150 or less. I got an adhesive Zone System placard from Zone VI that fits on the exposure scale that works perfectly with Ansel Adams' Zone System for just a few bucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:

Thank you for a good idea. I have this real crap Canon A590 which has actually really good metering opitions, it runs on AA batteries, it is small and quick to start. You can buy them from 5 euros up.