Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pre-ai nikkkors on ai camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Pre-ai nikkkors on ai camera Reply with quote

I have a bunch of pre ai nikkor rimes for my Nikkormat and F, I have recently acquired a F501 (n2020) body. Though the pre ai lenses are 'not compatible', can they be used at all on my F501. Is there a workround?

I also have a couple of t mount lenses. I'm not sure how to use them on the F501 either. I have the manual, but it mentions only ai or af lenses

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-ai nikkkors on ai camera Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I have a bunch of pre ai nikkor rimes for my Nikkormat and F, I have recently acquired a F501 (n2020) body. Though the pre ai lenses are 'not compatible', can they be used at all on my F501. Is there a workround?

I also have a couple of t mount lenses. I'm not sure how to use them on the F501 either. I have the manual, but it mentions only ai or af lenses

The problem with (mainly Nikkor) pre-AI lenses is that they can foul the AI meter coupling tab on the camera. Try offering each lens carefully up to the mount and checking to see if the rear of the aperture ring touches the tab (a plastic protrusion at around the one o'clock position on a rotating ring around the mount). If it doesn't touch when the lens is fully inserted then you can turn the lens to lock as normal. Unfortunately many Nikkors will bind on the tab, potentially damaging it. Most (but NOT all) independent lenses clear the tab as their aperture rings don't protrude beyond the mounting flange. A potential workaround for lenses that won't fit is to use a suitable independent tele converter or extension tube (for close ups) between the camera and lens.

As the F-501 doesn't have a depth of field preview control it won't meter correctly with pre-AI auto diaphragm lenses or accessories, except at full aperture. You can use the meter to determine the correct exposure for other apertures, though. For example, if you get a meter reading of 1/500th with an f/2 lens and you want to use f/4, change the shutter speed to 1/125th on manual.

The t-mount lenses should be no problem and typically don't have any features that will catch the tab. Also, as they are manual diaphragm they'll work fine in metered manual or aperture priority auto exposure modes as usual.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this clear information.