Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panasonic G5 & Auto Yashinon 2/5cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Panasonic G5 & Auto Yashinon 2/5cm Reply with quote

I have just received my new used G5,I needed to upgrade from the G1 which was now showing its age. My initial thoughts were oh no it's (a fraction) smaller and more cramped than the G1. But I have found when actually using the G5, it's not that bad,I don't need to do too much button pushing or fiddling when using my manual lenses.

Here are my first impressions of this camera,nothing technical just from a hobbyist or users point of view...or a ladies : ) Also I have not even tried to use the camera with an AF lens ,so don't ask about those settings...all I need to know is how to put it into manual and shoot away!

I miss the front wheel of the G1 for dialing up or down the speed,its now on the rear but to far to the side to control with ease.You need to do some thumb gymnastics : D. I miss the bigger grip on the G1,it did fit my hand a lot easier than the G5's grip. If you have small hands the G5 would be the perfect camera. I would like to think I have medium sized hands.

What I do love is the newer EVF on the G5, like night and day between the cameras.When I use the zoom in focus feature its sharp, where as with the G1 sometimes you had to guess for that sharp focus. I have the G5 set to vivid and normal for the other functions, no in camera sharpening. I am shooting JPGs at the moment and have not explored the movie feature as yet,

All in all I am very happy with it,after a slight adjustment/learning curve to the new G5's layout and I am sure we shall get on ok. I have turned off the touch screen as I don't intend to use it.

Just some extra info, I bought this from Keh (USA online camera store...good prices but crazy postage prices,thanks to a member here I had it relayed ) and thought I would have to pay a fortune for an adapter for use in Australia.I found out the Panasonic DMC FZ200 camera uses the same battery and charger (looked this up on B&H another USA online store) I managed to buy a broken FZ200 on ebay for a very good price. The other fact is if you don't want to buy a charger you can make do with a travel plug....read the G5 manual (bottom of Page 4 in the PDF manual) about the battery voltage.

Sample images from today using the Yashinon,resized for the forum
F 5.6 I think

F2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more of the Cat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, that cat is Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is a great cat I'll give her that,she puts up with me and my camera in her face.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats

What other focusing aids does the the camera have besides the image zoom?
Is that using the EVF?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if they are classified as a focus aids ,it does have an inbuilt feature which shows you if the camera is level,it comes with a selection of grid screens. I can't remember if I was using the EVF or the back screen for those shots.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Not sure if they are classified as a focus aids ,it does have an inbuilt feature which shows you if the camera is level,it comes with a selection of grid screens. I can't remember if I was using the EVF or the back screen for those shots.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mo,
Nice samples. Glad you have also the G5 it's a wonderful cam. I also got one and I keep it by now.
Have you tried the electronic shutter yet? It took me a long while to discover the feature, no mechanical noise, no bump on the shutter count.. Wink
The only drawback is that flash doesn't fire when the electronic shutter is active.
Kind regards,

Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: help with the adapters brand Reply with quote

Hi, i use panasonic GH4 and the Fotodiox m42 to m43 adapter with the vintage auto Yashinon 5cm( not the 50mm version) F2.0. The lens retracts at infinity and hits the ridge of the adapter effectively prevents infinity focus. This is NOT the same issue with M42 hits the reflex lens simply mirrorless has no such lens and the blockade happens at the FAR end where the lens attaches to the adapter. I had the 50mm f1.4 takumar and Helios 58mm f2 and these 2 can use this Fotodiox brand of adapter.The problem is the Yashinon travels further back than those 2. It may be the brand design fault.
Any other adapter brand that you have good experience with yashinon 5cm GH4 pair up ? Thank You Dog