Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to remove fungus from a lens tutorial
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: How to remove fungus from a lens tutorial Reply with quote

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/29/remove-fungus-lens/

Step-by-step walkthrough, using well known 50:50 Peroxide-Ammonia mixture

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!

I have never removed fungus on lenses but have two Schneider´s that have it.

BTW,
does fungus spread from one lens to the other if they stand next to each other?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd Ruschkowski wrote:
Thanks for the link!

BTW,
does fungus spread from one lens to the other if they stand next to each other?

Well even in a clean air lab it's possible if the air was damp and warm, but the spores are everywhere anyway so all you have to do is keep your lenses in a dry ventilated place to stop fungus ever starting.
If you don't believe spores are everywhere..just put your lens in a warm damp dark place and see what happens Sad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.

Thank you for the information!

It is very dry out doors here in Stockholm. Even during summer. Inside even drier.
I use a humidifier to increase the hummidity in some rooms! Dry air is hard on the breathing system...

Less fungus growth I then presume Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigurd Ruschkowski wrote:
I see.

Thank you for the information!

It is very dry out doors here in Stockholm. Even during summer. Inside even drier.
I use a humidifier to increase the hummidity in some rooms! Dry air is hard on the breathing system...

Less fungus growth I then presume Smile

Well nothing can live without water and Egyptian tombs didn't have a problem with fungus, but I don't know what is the minmum dampness (humidity) needed for fungus to start\grow, so you could use silica gel if worried.
But I have lenses with fungus mixed with clean lenses and don't have a problem and the air must be very slightly damp because of my breathing in the same room, but it's not a tomb and rushing air with movement and windows open in summer and central heating.... and fungus probably doesn't like it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using the same method to remove the fungus but please be aware that there are coatings which will be destroyed. For reference look at my topic about my Olympus f.zuiko 50/1.8. Its from the earliest versions and probably has a weak/cheap coating.