Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hints for getting the best IR effects from Rollei IR400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Hints for getting the best IR effects from Rollei IR400 Reply with quote

As the title says.
Has anyone some experience with this film and can give recommendations for getting the best out of it for IR results.
Thanks
OH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hints for getting the best IR effects from Rollei IR400 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
As the title says.
Has anyone some experience with this film and can give recommendations for getting the best out of it for IR results.
Thanks
OH

I have used this film along with a red filter. I've had the filter, I think it's a "25A", for years, since the 1960's, & have used it recently with the Rollie IR film, as well as back in the day with whatever IR film was available then. I do think that modern IR film is not as IR sensitive as the IR film from 'the good old days'. I see from Filterfind that there is actual IR filters that block visible light, letting only IR to get to the film. Perhaps I should cough up the dough to get one of those & try several rolls of Rollie again. I got the two IR photography books by Laurie White, "Infrared Photography Handbook", & "Advanced Infrared Photography Handbook". They have a wealth of info, & good procedures for getting satisfactory images from IR film. Good luck to you. Post the results.

Here are two of my IR attempts.

The tree is a standard pine tree, & I was pleased with the IR effect. My grand-daughter, who looks somewhat perturbed, has light blue eyes, & in IR her eyes are as black as coal, well, dark, at any rate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich for your feedback.
I will search out those books.
I have a Hoya R72 filter and will try it when the film arrives.
I have decided to use my Mamiya C330 for IR as it can use the R72 filter on the taking lens, while leaving the viewing lens clear for composition.
Cheers
Tom