Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extreme Bokeh with the Radionar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Extreme Bokeh with the Radionar Reply with quote

In a way I was lucky when I started testing the Radionar 4.5/105 on a dSLR. I just picked a length of macro extension tube which allowed for infinity focus and a reasonable close focus, not quite the 1m of the original camera because the tube was too short for that. The characteristics of a front cell focusing lens change all over the focusing range, and my setup happened to result in a reasonably good behaviour over its focusing range.

In the original camera, the position of the lens is fixed relative to the film plane, which means that the effective focal length must change in order to allow focusing at different distances. Supposing the nominal FL is 105 mm at the infinity setting, it must be reduced to about 95 mm in order to achieve focus at the closest focusing distance of 1 m. If the lens is mounted with an external focusing mechanism, a bellows, a helicoid or an adjustable close-range ring, the focal length and the corresponding characteristics of the lens can be chosen within this range using the front cell focus mechanism, and it occurred to me that this potential might well be worth testing.

So. I mountied the Radionar on the bellows, set the front cell focus at 1 m, which felt like the most promising alternative, and began testing. For me, the best bokeh would be the Gaussian one, but it isn't always so very easy to ascertain that the bokeh really is like that when viewing an arbitrary photo. There is, however, one rather fail-safe test method: pick a nearby highlight and focus at infinity. If the resulting foreground bokeh is ring-shaped, the background bokeh will be Gaussian. So I chose a scene and got a result like this:

Well, not too good, but the rings are there. So I focused at something nearer than the highlights and got this:

quite nice Gaussian bokeh, I'd say, spheres with very soft edges Smile

So far, so good, but what would the result be in real life? Well, it is a matter of taste - like any bokeh. What ever is said about the bokeh, the result was very illuminating. There was a glow, which at the first sight would bring veiling glare in mind, but which after some examination was revealed to be just an unavoidable result of the Gaussian bokeh, i.e., Gaussian smearing of adjacent areas - it seems to me now that the old lenses aren't necessarily so much haunted by lens flare as by the other face of their good bokeh! Here is the first example, focus at the steps:

and another one:

and a final one within this posting:

These photos remind me of the photos taken with the meniscus but with a sharper focus and totally lacking the coma of my VPK Meniscus. There is another, very important difference between these two lenses: the characteristics of the Radionar can be freely chosen between this extreme and something even past the setting I had happened to originally bump upon. The dual focus mechanism Radionar is somewhat like the old adjustable soft portrait lenses now selling for hundreds of dollars or euros.

There are more examples at http://galactinus.net/vilva/retro/radionar_uf.html

Veijo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veijo

You never cease to amaze - what a valuable asset you are for us all

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Veijo
You never cease to amaze - what a valuable asset you are for us all
patrickh

Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
These photos remind me of the photos taken with the meniscus but with a sharper focus and totally lacking the coma of my VPK Meniscus.

Before I read these lines, I was going to reply and say the same thing. Impressive.

I must say, that I perhaps like better your previous setting with this lens. It didn't show this glare and the output was very sharp but in a smooth way and without the side problems of today's very sharp lenses.
I think I would say that in the previous setting, your Radionar was very much like my best ideal lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I must say, that I perhaps like better your previous setting with this lens. It didn't show this glare and the output was very sharp but in a smooth way and without the side problems of today's very sharp lenses.
I think I would say that in the previous setting, your Radionar was very much like my best ideal lens.

Well, with this setup all the settings are easily available all the time, to be chosen at will, according to my mood and the requirements of the subject. It is also possible that the "ideal" setting slightly deviates from my original one, which was, after all, a quite arbitrary setting although a rather lucky one. I'll do some systematic testing later on, after I've thought about it a little bit. My gut feeling is, however, that there is no single optimum setting, only various compromise settings, two or three will go a long way.

It ought to be noted, however, that when the subject is exactly 1 m from the camera, the result with this setting here will exactly match my original one, and the further off the target is, the bigger the deviation. However, taking into account the fact that we want to manipulate the background bokeh, there must be a relatively far enough background so the focus target must be nearby, something like 1-3 m from the camera. Of course, we may sometimes want a kind of civilized meniscus effect for a faraway subject, and with this setup we don't need an extra lens.

On the other hand, setting the front cell distance scale at the approximate target distance and fine-tuning the focus with the external focusing mechanism gives results which match the characteristics of the original camera (within the cropped area, of course) but are more exactly in focus.

Veijo