Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Quartz 85mm f3.5 UV
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Pentax Quartz 85mm f3.5 UV Reply with quote

What would be good price to pay for this lens?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentax Quartz 85mm f3.5 UV Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
What would be good price to pay for this lens?

Well, it is a collectors items, but for photography, nah, has MASSIVE CA in visible light and
horrible to use for UV due to massive focus shift.

IF you get it cheap, go get it as a collectors item, but other than that, rather spend your money
on something useful!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Klaus,asking $290 Canadian any use in buying at this price to resell at a profit??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$290 for a good copy is a no-brainer. It will be even better if it comes with original filter set. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Thanks Klaus,asking $290 Canadian any use in buying at this price to resell at a profit??

You can try, great piece for a Pentax collectors for sure!! Too bad it is just the lens...

Make sure you get a few good pictures of the lens, or even meet with the seller in person, if doable!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus.....going to meet him and have good look at lens,says it is mint.Also has Leitz Wetzlar 100mm f2.8 Elmaron projector lens for $20 which I will probably buy. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Klaus.....going to meet him and have good look at lens,says it is mint.Also has Leitz Wetzlar 100mm f2.8 Elmaron projector lens for $20 which I will probably buy. Rolling Eyes

Well, to be honest I found one a while ago in the UK, just the lens like this opprtunity and I haven't been able to sell it, although I am known for such special lenses, so think about it twice. Wink

Here a visible image using that Quartz Takumar 85mm, nothing to write home about:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW see what you mean by CA... Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
WOW see what you mean by CA... Twisted Evil

It actually also shows quite some lack of sharpness also. It is basically made for narrowband UV and there it shines, but very, very difficult to focus (as it has to be done in UV and NOT in visible light!!!) - and only there!

Narrowband UV:

If you compare both images, you'd notice a 5.8% size difference based on shifted focus planes!!!

Guess you now understand why Pentax replaced it with the color corrected (= no focus shift) Ultra Achromativ Takumar 85mm in 1968 (it was sold 1963-67)!!

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why it is $800+ evidently only 25 known to be in existence and I sure would not be pleased for it to come out a year later after I had bought the 85 3.5 Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
And why it is $800+ evidently only 25 known to be in existence and I sure would not be pleased for it to come out a year later after I had bought the 85 3.5 Twisted Evil

What, $800?? Where did you get that number from? The number 25 I cannot confirm, also don't know where that is from (maybe got mixed up with the Ultra Achromatic Takumar 85mm, that number is about correct)

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to the Ultra Achromatic which is assessed by Pentax lens forum @$800 and the Pentax owner who owns one believes there are only 25 in existence,but I don't think he was adamant about the number in circulation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
I was referring to the Ultra Achromatic which is assessed by Pentax lens forum @$800 and the Pentax owner who owns one believes there are only 25 in existence,but I don't think he was adamant about the number in circulation.

OK, that makes sense, but the value is far from reality, the last one (complete set) I have seen on ebay sold for $6.000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW....$6,000 US ? that is $9,000 Can. at preset exchange rate, a fact that virtually prohibits me from purchasing on eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
WOW....$6,000 US ? that is $9,000 Can. at preset exchange rate, a fact that virtually prohibits me from purchasing on eBay.

That was for a complete set of Ultra Chromatic Takumar 85mm in makers leather box with complete filter set

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Price list March 1973 (Honeywell Pentax)

from http://forum.mflenses.com/honeywell-pentax-cameras-lenses-and-accessories-p1009-3-73-t49128,highlight,%2Blenses.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using https://www.measuringworth.com/uscompare/relativevalue.php one gets (2015 is last possible year):

In 2015, the relative value of $1,400.00 from 1973 ranges from $5,850.00 to $17,700.00.

So a $6.000 figure is well in that range Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, "You only live twice" says 007 in 1967 and look what he has in his car built in...

Q would never have used it, if it wasn't precious and special Wink

Last year it was sold, then replaced by the Ultra Achromatic Takumar.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing,if it was good enough for Bond I guess I am Lucky. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Amazing,if it was good enough for Bond I guess I am Lucky. Wink

Certainly so!! Welcome to the club of very elusive lenses!! Wink