Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei Planar 50mm 1.8 HFT
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Rollei Planar 50mm 1.8 HFT Reply with quote

First photos, and I really like it! Interesting 7 element design as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!!

I've never had one of these, but started looking in to them recently, just out of curiosity. I got kinda stuck in all the different versions!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Nice!!

I've never had one of these, but started looking in to them recently, just out of curiosity. I got kinda stuck in all the different versions!

I can only recommend you one of these lenses .Opticaly there are all the same. I have four of them : two only metal versions , a Carl Zeiss Planar made in Germany and a Voigt Ultron made in Singapour,and two "rubber" Rollei made in Singapour. In my opinion there are equal.
It is a cheap lens (50 to 70 euros) .
There is a downside . They need very often to be clean inside (haze ) and the focusing requires usually cleaning and relubing.
Optic is superior to mecanic on this lens. Bokeh is a bit nervous with my A7.
This lens has a "twin" , the excellent and tiny Sonnar 85 2.8.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photos are beautiful. Well done!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Mine is made in Singapore, it came without any of the mentioned problems. But I agree the mechanical quality is not the best.
Close range bokeh looks really good in my opinion.

Later on I will do a comparison test focused on bokeh with the following contenders:

Canon FD 50mm 1.8
Konica 50mm 1.7
Minolta MD 50mm 1.7
Meyer optik Görlitz Oreston 50mm 1.8
Olympus 50mm 1.8
Pentax auto Takumar 50mm 1.8
Rollei Planar 50mm 1.8
Zenitar 50mm 1.7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you . It will be interesting.
Here is a link to a test made by Stevemark. I added a comparison between , Rollei Planar, Zebra Pancolar , Zenitar 1.7 and M Pentax 1.4 all at f2.
I like very much the bokeh of the Pentax and of the Zenitar , really smooth.
Regarding the Takumar (55mm?) it has a strong "blurrying" capacity.

http://forum.mflenses.com/bokeh-of-vintage-standard-lenses-sony-a7-t75619,highlight,%2Bbokeh.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Thank you . It will be interesting.
Here is a link to a test made by Stevemark. I added a comparison between , Rollei Planar, Zebra Pancolar , Zenitar 1.7 and M Pentax 1.4 all at f2.
I like very much the bokeh of the Pentax and of the Zenitar , really smooth.
Regarding the Takumar (55mm?) it has a strong "blurrying" capacity.

http://forum.mflenses.com/bokeh-of-vintage-standard-lenses-sony-a7-t75619,highlight,%2Bbokeh.html

That's an interesting comparison you've made, the Planar and Pancolar are similar to each other, as are the Pentax and Zenitar.

Yes, I meant Takumar 55mm, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's worth to mention that this lens is 100% identical with the Voigtlaender 50mm f1.8 Auto Color-Ultron.
Please refer to: http://captjack.exaktaphile.com/rollei/Rolleilenses.htm
The advantage of the Voigtlaender variant is that it is additionally available in M42 version.
Just my 2 cents...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more samples. I also got the older made in Germany version. These photos are taken with that lens.
It's one of my favorite 50's!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splendid samples. Definitely among best 1.8/50. I don't care much about HFT and trust West Germany model more Smile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Splendid samples. Definitely among best 1.8/50. I don't care much about HFT and trust West Germany model more Smile.

Thanks. The only bad thing on my German version is stiff focus. But the Singapore is smooth.
New lube would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 3.

This might be the best 50mm ever made. I'm still drawn to use it more than others.

Stopped down a bit.