Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Komura 500mm f/7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Komura 500mm f/7 Reply with quote

Well, I had sworn that I was done buying lenses, then something happened. I was window shopping in ebay and saw a Komura 500mm f/7 lens. They seem to be quite rare, so I didn't expect to win the auction. I put in my bid and went to bed. Woke up in the morning to find I own it. Does that count as an accidental purchase? Here's a picture:

And here is a better assortment of pictures from a website:
http://www.cameraquest.com/ek500kom.htm

Think I'll need a tripod? Laughing Anyone know about this lens? It's an Exacta mount like on the web page, so I'll have to convert it along with my 135mm Komura - Exacta.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, that looks wild Shocked

Obviously, this was entirely accidental, you just put out a bid for sport and it hit you. So no, I would not count this as being against your resolution Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT is a sexy lens Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it come in two halves?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was after that one !

Wasn't paying attention at the time though, so it slipped away - to you !

Its very easy to adapt the mount - get an M39-M42 ring and an M42 extension tube. The native mount on these is actually M39. They were originally designed to go on a Visoflex.

Komura supplied them with SLR mount tubes that screw on to the M39 and have the SLR mount at the other end. You should be able to just unscrew that Exakta mount.

So the easy fix is to use an M39-M42 ring to adapt the screw and use an M42 extension tube to add the necessary extra length (as the Visoflex register was quite long).

If you don't want to do your own adapting, the real Komura mounts can rarely be found separately, or you can look for the fairly common 200mm or 300mm in this series that use the same mounts. These often go cheaply.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting, I'll look forward to seeing more!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect nice colors and week sharpness , I look forward your reports! Congrats for this rare piece!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I was after that one !

Wasn't paying attention at the time though, so it slipped away - to you !

Its very easy to adapt the mount - get an M39-M42 ring and an M42 extension tube. The native mount on these is actually M39. They were originally designed to go on a Visoflex.

Komura supplied them with SLR mount tubes that screw on to the M39 and have the SLR mount at the other end. You should be able to just unscrew that Exakta mount.

So the easy fix is to use an M39-M42 ring to adapt the screw and use an M42 extension tube to add the necessary extra length (as the Visoflex register was quite long).

If you don't want to do your own adapting, the real Komura mounts can rarely be found separately, or you can look for the fairly common 200mm or 300mm in this series that use the same mounts. These often go cheaply.

My deepest appreciation for not paying attention. Believe it or not, that's as much as I've ever paid for a lens.

Thank you also for the conversion advice; wish I understood it. I need to convert to Sony A-mount at 44.5mm registration. Do you know if there is a picture series on the conversion?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I expect nice colors and week sharpness , I look forward your reports! Congrats for this rare piece!

Thank you, Attila. Weak sharpness is not my favorite thing. I'm hoping for a 12 to 16 blade diaphragm. I've been on a Komura kick lately and very much like the 135mm I picked up. It is very well made and solid feeling. The sharpness is more than satisfactory and the colors and bokeh superb - very close to my Series 1 135mm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Does it come in two halves?

Yes, Martin. My picture shows the two halves in their carrying case and the website I posted shows the lens assembled. It's much longer than I'd like, but we'll see. I can't imagine taking it many places.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thank you, Attila. Weak sharpness is not my favorite thing. I'm hoping for a 12 to 16 blade diaphragm. I've been on a Komura kick lately and very much like the 135mm I picked up. It is very well made and solid feeling. The sharpness is more than satisfactory and the colors and bokeh superb - very close to my Series 1 135mm.

I had same experience with 135mm and 200mm Komura lenses. I expect weak sharpness because very hard to make good sharp 500mm lenses at least I didn't see any, I talk about non-mirror lenses. Hopefully I am wrong let we see I cross my fingers to you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for the "accidental purchase" Wink, i wish i had more like this Very Happy ...
Hopefully, we'll see soon some samples in the gallery ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No picture series unfortunately. I will have to dig up my M39-42 adapter as I have mislaid it. I'm just relating what I did with my own Komuras, I have the 200,300 and 400 of this series. I have an original Komura M42 mount now so I don't have to use this fix.

Just -

1. Unscrew the lens mount adapter tube. You will see an M39 screw
2. Screw on an M39-M42 adapter ring. Lots of these available from Russia.
3. Find an M42 extension ring thats long enough to give you infinity. This is trial and error. Screw on to the M42 thread.
4. Screw on an M42-Sony A adapter.

The key is to find an extension ring thats more-or-less long enough, if I recall correctly I used one thats @25mm. You won't find one thats perfect. You just want it to get to infinity, its OK if it goes a bit over, all you will lose is a foot or less of close focus.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135mm isn't like that, is it? M39?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, there were just four of these Komura Visoflex type lenses that I know of; 200mm, 300mm, 400mm and 500mm.

There was also a series made for Bronica (an interesting set with common focusing mount and interchangable lens heads), but these are quite different.

The only 135mm Komura M39 lenses I know of were rangefinder coupled and they have the rangefinder-type short back-focus.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luis: What are your impressions of those other three; 200, 300, & 400? Getting at Attila's comments, I'm wondering what to expect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

400- wonderful ! very sharp wide open, little fringing.

300- lousy. I actually have two of them, one much worse than the other. Very light lens for a 300/5, but if it doesn't deliver...

200 - average for a 200/3.5

I haven't tried any of the 500's, but I have seen good comments on it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis: PM sent.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious how much that set you back -if you care to indulge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$102 with shipping. Given its rarity, I expected it to go much higher. We'll see about the quality after I receive it in another week. I'll be sure to report out here. If you're thinking about my comment about it costing as much as my most expensive lenses, well yes, I'm a tightwad Very Happy But I've landed some very good lenses, all $100 or less.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the deal-I think you're a very smart shopper Very Happy -not a tight wad. Jim's camera in Seattle had one(he may still have it)- it was priced quite a bit above what you paid.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the monster arrived today - just three days - not bad. I have yet to do anything with it and now the lighting is too dim. Tomorrow I will see if I can get a few pictures off by holding it up to the camera. It will take me awhile to get the mount situation straightened out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's attempt to use the lens - held to the camera - was a miserable failure. I had a very difficult time focusing and couldn't hold it still enough to get a decent picture. I hope to do better when the mount is converted. If today's pictures were any indication, they are much worse than Attila suggested.

Point of clarification; I actually held the camera to the lens.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put some images of the lens in this thread (I stumbled over the rear part not knowing what it was so did some research). There are two versions of this. One attaches both parts with a screw mount, the other with a bayonet mount. Also it is possible to attach a filter to the rear of the front part (haven't yet found documentation but I found a pic with filter attached)

With Bayonet:

[/quote]

with filter:

ebay image with both parts in case plus filters:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a extra curve-ball, the mount register of Komura's reflex housing for screw-mount Leica cameras has a longer register than the Leica Visoflex (PLOOT). Like about 5mm longer. Allows a longer mirror.