Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Promicrol substitute formula
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Promicrol substitute formula Reply with quote

The original formula for Promicrol can be seen at

photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/006NWm

The following formula, which does not use N-(beta-hydroxyethyl)-o-aminophenol sulfate, appeared in a letter in Australian Photography magazine from A J Cross in Brisbane, who wrote that he found it in his collection of photographic literature.

Water 750ml
Para-aminophenyl hydroxide 8g
Parahydroxyphenyl glycin 11g
Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) 100g
Sodium carbonate 12g
Potassium bromide 0.5g
Water to make 1 litre

Adjust pH to 10.2 at 20C

Last edited by Chris Bishop on Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:34 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Promicrol substitute formula Reply with quote

Chris Bishop wrote:
The original formula for Promicrol can be seen at
photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/006NWm

The following formula, which does not use N-(beta-hydroxyethyl)-o-aminophenol sulfate, appeared in at letter in Australian Photography magazine from A J Cross in Brisbane, who wrote that he found it in his collection of photographic literature.

Water 750ml
Para-aminophenyl hydroxide 8g
Parahydroxyphenyl glycin 11g
Sodium sulfite (anhydrous) 100g
Sodium carbonate 12g
Potassium bromide 0.5g
Water to make 1 litre

Adjust pH to 10.2 at 20C

Hi and Welcome to the forum,thanks for posting this information I am sure it will come in handy.Not sure why the link is not working,I could copy and paste it into my browser and it worked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attention Chris Bishop.

Chris, do you have any leads for suppliers of these chemicals? (Glycin,
Para-aminophenyl hydroxide etc)?
Thanks,
Ian
Queensland
Australia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozboz wrote:
Chris, do you have any leads for suppliers of these chemicals?

Sorry, I haven't. I no longer make up photographic preparations. Perhaps a compounding pharmacist might be able to help - there seem to be many of them in Brisbane, I recently passed one in Fortitude Valley. The Camera House chain of shops may be able to help - the Photoco one in Adelaide certainly supports film! Googling doesn't bring up any photo chemical shop in Qld, only http://www.walchoptics.com.au/ in Tas and http://www.vanbarphoto.com.au/ in Vic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Promicrol substitute formula Reply with quote

Chris Bishop wrote:
The original formula for Promicrol can be seen at http://photo.net/black-and-white-photo-film-processing-forum/006NWm. The following formula, which does not use N-(beta-hydroxyethyl)-o-aminophenol sulfate, appeared in at letter in Australian Photography magazine from A J Cross in Brisbane,...

I have found my photocopy of A J Cross's letter, which goes on to say

These chemicals are available from
Canchem, Unit 1/11 Camfrod [sic] St, Milton Qld 4064 ...
Or try Van Bar Photographic Supplies ...

Googling suggests Canchem are no longer trading.