Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Silver Olympic CZJ Sonnar 18cm f/2.8 Contax crafted to Exa
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Silver Olympic CZJ Sonnar 18cm f/2.8 Contax crafted to Exa Reply with quote

Just received this extremely beautiful collectible 75yo Sonnar lens from an extraordinary British gentleman (who snatched it after another even more extraordinary British gentleman that sadly passed away in 2014). Some of the original pics can be easily found on Google, as well as the item background.

Just as my Makro-Kilar 90 lens from a rich collection of a respected German collector W. Nemski, this Sonnar also comes with rich accessories, including original flectoscope, various well-crafted mounts (Nikon, Exa), crazy homemade sun cover, and original leather box to name a few. Up to 5 kg of photo equipment overall.

I paid €1.050 for an extraordinarily well preserved soon to be antique item and I find it to be a bargain Very Happy not being ready to re-sell the lens sooner than 60yrs from now, as 90yo gentleman just about to lay into the grave, for at least 10 times more to send some of my great grandchildren to Harvard Whoo Turtle

It is surprisingly small but obviously very heavy fast lens still keeping its shine as well as not that stiff aperture and helicoid, indicating the item has been both used once for a time and overall well-kept.

The optics looks a bit dusty inside but overall very good. Just as rest of my prewars, even this lens is easy to dismantle on 3-4 pcs without using a tool.

The lens is sharp enough wide open not getting any better when stopped down and obviously uncoated and very sensitive on sun, having all other typical non coated lens drawing signs (utterly irrelevant for me since PP/Photoshop was invented).

Hence there is no reason to shut down as one only loose time, fights ISO, has handhelding problems, looses cooler wideopen drawing and bokeh and so forth. (I don't expect to be photographing with on a regular basis though, just cuddling with from time to time Very Happy)

Perhaps quite suprisingly, the crafted Exa mount does reach maybe even more than infinity on Canon, which I was ready to loose of course.

I value this prewar similarly to Biotar 7,5 or Primoplan 7,5 I both snatched in last 12 months, and as many drug, lens and sex addicts said, I am done with prewar lenses now! (For at least a month Laugh 1)

Btw, for some reason this lens has very strong, specific but yet pleasant old smell. It actually aromated my whole safe. The old greasing, son! Nothing smells like an old grease. I LOVE the smell of vintage lenses in the morning. Whoo Turtle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w

Marek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that model! Cool! Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice find, specially with the Flektoscope coming with it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Hoover brand lens shade. It seems you will just be vacuuming up photons from "mariposa".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely!
Harvard will be obsolete before this thing is.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump Whoo Turtle

A nice opportunity for US based, or customs/VAT paradises based photographers, or rather say - investors?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-18cm-f28-180mm-Olympia-Sonnar-Contax-1937-2119838-/272610650625

Even with an original sonnenblende Very Happy ! OMG that one I don't yet have! AFAIK my Sonnar's lens hood is vintage-style homemade by the previous deceased owner - Peter Spenlove Spenlove Very Happy ...