Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tokina 90/2.5, Nikkor 105/2.5 and Sony DE 85/1.8 compared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Tokina 90/2.5, Nikkor 105/2.5 and Sony DE 85/1.8 compared Reply with quote

I decided it was time to do a pixel peeping test between Tokina AT-X 90/2.5, the Nikkor 105/2.5 and the brand new Sony FE 85/1.8. A Sony A7 on a tripod was used to make the pictures (timer 10 sec). Pictures are converted from RAW to JPEG.

I moved the tripod backwards in case of the 105mm/2.5 to compose more or less the same frame.
First, an overall comparison of the pictures:

Hard to say anything yet, all three lenses produce nice pictures with soft bokeh and vivid colors.

Then, the 100% crops:

I love both the Nikkor and the Tokina. The Nikkor is much smaller though, a pretty compact lens really, and leaves some more space in your camera bag for other lenses.

The red square shows on what part I (tried to) focus on.
The Sony has a reputation for being extremely sharp and it shows. It seems the focus of the Nikkor and the Tokina is not exactly similar, therefore I decided to do a second test between these two. Here are the 100% crops @ f/2.5 and @ f/8. Focus is at the middle of the crop. Keep in mind that the Nikkor has less DOF, being a 105mm. More details will be in focus with the Tokina.

In terms of resolution, I don't think there's too much of a difference. The Tokina has slightly better micro contrast it seems. Left Tokina, right Nikkor.

Conclusion:
- Sony lens is the sharpest and has the best micro contrast.
- Tokina images show better micro contrast than the Nikkor
- The Nikkor is very compact and very close in performance to the Tokina. It's much more compact though, and leaves more space in my bag for other lenses.
- Bokeh and colors good from all three lenses.

Please feel free to comment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sharpness test. I also like to see a challenging bokeh scene.

Of these I have the Nikkor and think it has good, smooth bokeh.

I may do that kind of test this summer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Nice sharpness test. I also like to see a challenging bokeh scene.

Of these I have the Nikkor and think it has good, smooth bokeh.

I may do that kind of test this summer.

Definitely planning to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tokina 90/2.5, Nikkor 105/2.5 and Sony DE 85/1.8 compare Reply with quote

Nice comparison! Good to know the modern Sony is also very sharp. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the test, you put3 in3 the best lenses Indeed , Sony proves to be the right choice for the money if AF is needed,on low budget ,Nikkor is doing a good job and bokina,one of the best,but not always the most practically lens to take around ,even though it's images proves to be between the top . Wonder how tamron 2.8 do in such a test