Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD Zoom 35-135mm/3.5-4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb photos. Thanks Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: minimum focal distance Reply with quote

I think the old zooms had a minimum focus distance if they spread across two of wide normal and telephoto ranges. For instance some of the Olympus wides had close focusing groups.

Imagine trying to get that across another range and the complexity involved. I think we have to accept the compromise to give good images for all adjustments.

We accept primes may be created for Bokey or other qualities, so zooms are an extra requirement and compromises increase.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a noob here and this is my first post on the forum.

Today, I got my MD 35-135 which is in excellent condition and it looks brand new but there seems to be an issue as I'm not able to focus at 35mm for some reason and I'm not sure why from 50mm to 135mm it works really well, does anyone know what the issue can be?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is that you got ripped off by the seller.

Now you have the usual two choices: Keep it and write the money off - or rip off another dude by selling it again.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altslash wrote:
Hi, I'm a noob here and this is my first post on the forum.

Today, I got my MD 35-135 which is in excellent condition and it looks brand new but there seems to be an issue as I'm not able to focus at 35mm for some reason and I'm not sure why from 50mm to 135mm it works really well, does anyone know what the issue can be?

Asking a silly question here: Are you sure you do not focus at 35? These wide range zooms have a touchy focus at the long end but it is pretty vague at the wide end. This is because the focusing action should be correlated to the focal length which is obviously not possible on a mechanical zoom. So you might have the impression of rotating the focus ring with little effect at 35. There might well be an action but much less abrupt than the one observed at 135.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

Asking a silly question here: ...

Interesting remark.

To clarify the issue:
1) are you able to rotate the focusing ring at f=35mm or ...
2) ... is the focusing roing blocked at f=35mm?

S

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Altslash

I.e. at 35mm can lens focus at close distances than infinity, or, not at any distance?

Also, at 35mm adapter thickness is more critical that at longer focal length -- an adapter slightly too thick can defeat ability to focus at 35mm but is not a problem with longer focal lengths. Does adapter allow infinity focus with 35mm or wider prime lens, for example?

Last edited by visualopsins on Fri May 21, 2021 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even simpler, is the lens engaged in macro mode?

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Even simpler, is the lens engaged in macro mode?

The macro mode of the Minolta MD 3.5-4.5/35-105mm can be set only at f=135mm.
It certainly isn't the problem described in the original posting!

S