Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Took 'em long enough
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Took 'em long enough Reply with quote

I'm placing this post in the "Film SLR" area because the film SLR is the platform in which this technology is realized.

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/17/im-back-new-digital-back-old-35mm-cameras/

I posted a recommendation: plan on developing a 24mp sensor for this piece of technology.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, but what's wrong with using film cameras as they were intended to be used, with film. If you want it digitised you can have it scanned to disc at the development stage. Anyway, as far as I can see, the quality of the end result is no where near good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the most usable iteration of this technology I've seen to date. Good luck to them. It looks fun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both you guys. It's quality leaves a lot to be desired. And it's an important first step.

I like the idea of being able to use a film camera with a digital sensor because it could end up being a more economical means of producing full frame digital images. That is, if this back's sensor is gonna be full frame. If it isn't then there's little point to the exercise, I feel.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their second kickstarter never made it : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/samellos/im-backtm-pro-low-cost-digital-back-for-35mm-analo?ref=41n4jh

The official I'm Back website is also gone........ this will never be reality i guess.

About the sensor: it's a Panasonic 10.9mm diagonal (2/3" type, for P&S cams, crop 3,93), which is very small. The outcome however is called "full-frame" or "no crop factor" because it takes a picture of a focusing screen that is in place of the filmplane and has the size of full-frame.
But it's not a size that you'd want for editing.....
Also, from their own campaign text: "thanks to the focusing screen the images gain a “retro” feel since it creates small granules on the picture".

You'd better buy a second hand Sony A7 if you want high quality full-frame shots from your old lenses......
And shoot film cameras with what they were made for: film!! It's really great!

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

René, for the past 35 years or so, when I want to take full frame photos, I use a 35mm camera. I can't afford even a used A7 -- or 5D for that matter. Maybe one day soon. Until then, though I still have fun shooting with film. I just wish it wasn't so expensive now.

Thanks for explaining how this "I'm Back" gizmo works. I'm afraid the tech would have to be entirely different before I'd be willing to buy one. But at least it's gotten people thinking of the possibility again. I've been waiting since 2000 for somebody to come up with a working method for using an SLR for digital work. Maybe one of these days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Cooltouch : I shoot film as well, develop them myself as well. It's great and it slows me down. Wish i had more time for it to do some experiments though....
Fwiw: a second hand 5D gives quite some options for using old glass, i.e. M42 / Contax-Yashica / Olympus / Nikon. Not as much versatility as an A7, but it's a start! Over here in the Netherlands their prices have gone below the 300 euro mark, so that would not be a lot more than a complete "I'm back" set would have cost you.

I'm not familiar with pricing in your country, but it might be worth considering to look out for a 5D !

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too do all my own film developing now, mostly because it's saving me a lot of money.

Even at the cheaper prices that Canon 5Ds are selling for these days, it's more than I can afford. And besides, if I were going to buy an EOS DSLR, it would be at least a 5D Mk II, which sells for about double what the 5D sells for. The 5D doesn't have Live View, which is a deal breaker to me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
at least a 5D Mk II, which sells for about double what the 5D sells for. The 5D doesn't have Live View, which is a deal breaker to me.

I went from the 5D to the 5DII. I (have) never use(d) live-view!
To be honest: using live view (which is the only option) with the A7 in darker surroundings when you plan on using (remote) flashes is nearly impossible. Both viewfinder and screen remain completely dark when you have set the correct aperture and shutter for flash. Because the camera does not know you are going to flash, live view then shows what it will record without the flashes: darkness!
Ymmv but i prefer to see my composition and focus area in the viewfinder.

That is, among others, why i keep both systems next to each other. They both have their purposes, but for me they cannot serve all aspects of what i want on their own.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, interesting, trying to keep up with the latest digital is nigh on impossible from a cost perspective. However medium format has never been cheaper, would rather buy an ETRS kit with change to spare, and have the negs scanned than a 5d mk 1 or 2. Often these have been hammered on the shutter counts and you have to pay a premium on those with low actuations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the 'RE-35' idea but it too was vaporware. It is not about being cheaper or economical but just being able to use a collection of classic film cameras and make digital images right in the camera. I currently use a Nikon Df with my collection of Nikon MF lenses. It would be awesome to be able to use my FM2n as digital but not with a huge accessory hanging down. Before the digital age we used to say "If you want slides shoot slide film and if you want prints shoot print film". I guess the same can apply to film and digital images...
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first i didn't really believe what i was seeing and checked the date twice..... but it's true: they're back in again and this time they even reached their goal!

So i guess it will be possible to use your old SLR for simple digital pics after all!

Here it is: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/samellos/im-back-pro-low-cost-35mm-digital-back

Cheers, René!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why they didn't just cost the size of cheap, low-resolution Full Frame sensors in the first place and give people exactly what they want, and exactly what this product is intended to be.

No, it wouldn't have been cheap - but then cameras never have been. If you can buy entire Full Frame DSLRs second-hand on Ebay now for less than $300 then surely they could have sourced current-production sensors in 12-24MP range for the same sort of money.

I suppose the engineering idea is somewhat flawed in that the sensor capture must sync with the physical camera system - shutter and lightmeter, in order to match the shutter speed and exposure. That is surely the barrier to this product ever possibly existing, not the potential cost.