Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji X-Pro 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Fuji X-Pro 1 Reply with quote

Has anyone experience of using the Fuji X-Pro 1 with MF lenses? I have a chance to buy one at a "silly price" but the reviews/blogs I've read are frequently contradictory. Any comments based on actual use would be welcomed.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an X-Pro 1 user (X-E1 and X-E2 here) but the X-Pro 1 is a little long in the tooth now. You can't use the OVF for manual focusing unless you take the hyperfocal approach and the EVF is old tech. It does have peaking however, which i find more accurate than the Sony version.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Graham. It's the EVF part that interests me - my plan would be to use my fast 85 to 100mm lenses that I now find hard to get accurate focus with my Leica. I can manage fine with my Lumix G1 but it's starting to mis-behave and will need to be replaced.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Thanks, Graham. It's the EVF part that interests me - my plan would be to use my fast 85 to 100mm lenses that I now find hard to get accurate focus with my Leica. I can manage fine with my Lumix G1 but it's starting to mis-behave and will need to be replaced.

Well, the EVF is from my point of view one of the most important feature of such a camera. As I have several different ones I can easily judge the differences. Although there are better EVF's in terms of resolution, in terms of usability for MF lenses the GXR-M finder is still unbeaten. However, the Fuji system is still unknown to me, but what I've read so far it's also behind in that respect.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EVFs in the Fuji are among the best you can find.
It's excellent in the X-T1 and very good in the X-E series.

The X-Pro1 also has a nice finder and the special hybrid one (which is not of much use when adapting manual lenses, though).

The X-Pro1 is a fine camera, but if you don't need the hybrid finder, you might rather go for an X-E1 which will also be pretty affordable meanwhile (= under €300,-).

If that "silly price" you mention means that it's an absolute bargain, then of course go for it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for obervations - I've been dithering between replacing the Lumix G1 with a G5 or an XE-1 when along came the chance of an X-Pro body for not much more money than I'd pay for either of them. The X-Pro body is more Leica-like in its size and proportions, which is part of the attraction. The OVf would, for me at least, be pretty much irrelevant.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possibilty to change from EVF to two variants (normal & wide) of OVF makes the X-pro a standalone masterpice of technology. Even if You think not to need it, You'll be satisfied with it. And who knows, perhaps there comes a X-lens round the corner one day...
The only reason I sold mine is fullformat for my wide necessarity, I regret to have sold the X-pro 1 today.
Go for it, there is no better choice!
Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A postscript to my original question to thank everyone again but to say I decided not to buy the X Pro.

When I got to handle it I found I had serious problems seeing clearly through either the optical or electronic viewfinder. The camera has no eyepiece focus adjustment and not even my latest varifocal spectacles helped. Fujifilm make viewfinder correction lenses so I borrowed from my helpful optician a selection of lens blanks to see what I needed. The outcome was that I need one of +1.5 diopters to manage one finder and +2.5 for the other . . . but Fuji only make lenses in whole-diopter values and the difference was critical. I'd have had to get a custom made one (or two) at a price which was steep enough to put me off. My eyesight is, to say the least, rather problematic these days.

A great pity, as it really is a nice camera to handle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
A postscript to my original question to thank everyone again but to say I decided not to buy the X Pro.

When I got to handle it I found I had serious problems seeing clearly through either the optical or electronic viewfinder. The camera has no eyepiece focus adjustment and not even my latest varifocal spectacles helped. Fujifilm make viewfinder correction lenses so I borrowed from my helpful optician a selection of lens blanks to see what I needed. The outcome was that I need one of +1.5 diopters to manage one finder and +2.5 for the other . . . but Fuji only make lenses in whole-diopter values and the difference was critical. I'd have had to get a custom made one (or two) at a price which was steep enough to put me off. My eyesight is, to say the least, rather problematic these days.

A great pity, as it really is a nice camera to handle.

It once again shows that different folks have different needs. However, I am also considering the viewfinder and particularly the available focus aids as the most important features of any camera, especially for the use of MF lenses.
Thanks for your feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Fujifilm X-E1 and have no problems with the EVF and ability to focus with manual lenses.
I wear spectacles and don't have to let them aside for using the EVF.
Just my 2 cents. Smile

Oh, maybe there are some settings to set in the menu for MF.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier - thanks for that info about the XE-1. It has only the electronic viewfinder and also a dioptric adjustment on the eyepiece which means that I can get on with it okay. So well in fact that have now got one and I'm really pleased with what it produces for me with my old lenses. The eyepiece adjustment is fine enough to let me tune the image in sharply. If only the XPro-1 had been given the facility . . . Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Olivier - thanks for that info about the XE-1. It has only the electronic viewfinder and also a dioptric adjustment on the eyepiece which means that I can get on with it okay. So well in fact that have now got one and I'm really pleased with what it produces for me with my old lenses. The eyepiece adjustment is fine enough to let me tune the image in sharply. If only the XPro-1 had been given the facility . . . Crying or Very sad

XE-1 has the same great sensor than X-Pro1. The only + I saw in X-Pro1 was the optical viewfinder and size a bit bigger. After some thinking I got the X-E1 instead and I'm happy with that.
What's fine with Fujifilm is that they follow their products well and give system and lenses softwares' updates.
Firmware for X-E1 : http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xe1/download.html
Firmware for zoomlens 18-55mm : http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/lens/xf18-55mm/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:

While I love my X-Pro1, the X-E1 is the better camera for MF lenses. The EVF is better, and the focus peaking is more clear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding to this; X-E2 is even better, with coloured focus aids. X-T1 is best, with the large EVF.

For the original Fujinon XF primes (my 18mm and 35mm) I still prefer the X-Pro1.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the update. Wink