Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Budget portrait lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Budget portrait lens? Reply with quote

Hi guys, I'm really considering to buy a portrait lens for my Canon APS-C camera. Not for professional using, just to take photos about my girlfriend, and others. So I'm looking for a good but cheap (max. 300$) portrait lens. What would you choose?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina 90mm f2.5 AT-X is pretty good. Great bokeh and very sharp.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Industar f3.5/50mm M42. Actually, nearly 53mm. With an APS/C around 78-85mm (FOV equivalent). Ye can get a mint one for $30-40. Plus an M42-Canon mount converter(a few dollars). Superbly sharp, even at f3.5. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Budget portrait lens? Reply with quote

Ezamond wrote:
Hi guys, I'm really considering to buy a portrait lens for my Canon APS-C camera. Not for professional using, just to take photos about my girlfriend, and others. So I'm looking for a good but cheap (max. 300$) portrait lens. What would you choose?

Try a Zenitar M 1.7/50. An excellent lens, priced in good condition between $50-$75 US. On APS-C the 75mm apparent FOV works well for portraiture.

Cropped OOC JPG taken yesterday, Zenitar M & Sony A7II.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clasical Helios-44 Mx 58mm f/2 is very cheap (30-40$) and with a very nice IQ wide opened.
As for modern lenses, Samyang 85mm f/1.4 is in your price range, it can be found in Canon mount and is a very nice portrait lens.
With a little effort you can get both together for 300$. Wink

Last edited by dan_ on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.Zuiko 50 1.4
under $100

now we have many options Smile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TAo2 said, the equivalent portrait lens for APS-C size sensor is 50mm focal length. Our great fortune, there are many many fast 50mm lens that were used as normal lenses on 35mm film-size format. These fast lenses make excellent portrait lenses for APS-C size sensor. Almost any of them will give excellent results.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax super multi coated takumar 50mm 1.4. 80-100 USD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about any "normal" lens will work fine as a portrait lens on an APS-C camera. F/2 is somewhat slow for a normal lens, but it's a fast maximum f-stop with just about any other focal length. So, you could pick up a 50/2 normal for around 10% of your budget, and in all likelihood, it will work well.

If you want to spend upwards of $300, then I'd suggest you look for an exotic, like a Canon FD 50mm f/1.2 L or 55mm f/1.2 Aspherical. Or a Nikon 50mm or 55mm f/1.2. Or maybe a nice Contax Planar 50/1.4 or something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, well I remember to mention for Canon APS-C that unfortunately Canon FD/FL/etc. lenses and Minolta lenses won't focus all the way to infinity, which may not be a problem with portraits, and Pentax PK mount lens will mount cockeyed.

Lenses that do mount easily to Canon APS-C have M42 mount, such as the Takumars and Helios, Nikon mount Nikkors, and Olympus OM.

You might like the Pentax M42 colors, the Nikon "look", or the swirly bokeh of Helios 44M...plenty of online examples clearly show different characteristics...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't mention what Canon camera. I'm assuming a DSLR and not their EOS-M mirrorless.
As mentioned, if it's EF mount/DSLR, you're limited to a number of makes due to register length.
Some good suggestions have already been made for vintage manuals.
If you go M42, there are a lot of other makes and models.
Mamiya/Sekor SX 55mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. The SX line is superb, albeit pricier than the previous AUTO models, which are also very good.
Yashica Yashinon DX/DS/DS-M 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4.
Fuji Film Fujinon EBC 55mm f/1.8 and f/1.4.
Ricoh Auto Rikenon 55mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.7.
Auto Chinon MC 55mm f/1.7.

As for Olymus OM mount....I second the Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 suggestion. It's a gorgeous rendering portrait lens.

But don't dismiss modern offerings.
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 can be found for ~$300 used. A fabulous prime lens.
Rokinon/Samyang 50mm f/1.4. Manual focus, and EF mount.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to sell two Zeiss Biotar 58/2 copies, M42 and Exa, both fully refurbished by the serviceman if you're into swirly bokeh and portraiture-like proportions on APS-C.

Listed both on Ebay: M42, Exa/Exakta (M42 perhaps soon-to-be-sold)

Prices are a) negotiable and b) couting with double-fee (PP + Ebay) so feel free to offer something in case of interest.

I am not saying you wouldn't fine sharper/faster/cooler lens under $300 cap but hey, I liked these two (great bokeh and contrast).

Marek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like for portrait a 85/100 mm lens

One is the Nikkor 2/85 AIs.

Good lens

Both at F/4.

Nice lens.

Last edited by papasito on Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opticus wrote:
Tokina 90mm f2.5 AT-X is pretty good. Great bokeh and very sharp.

And a superb macro lens as well, of course . . . Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ezamond, I am surprised by some Of The responses here, obviously if it's just nice pictures of your girlfriend you probably need more than one focal length. Are you shooting just head shots, full length or environmental, natural light, tungsten or flash. There are too many variables, personally I would go for a high quality zoom with a constant aperture of say f2.8, I am sure someone on the forum could recommend something.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rokinon 50mm f/1.7
Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.7
Fujinon 75mm f/1.8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr G wrote:
personally I would go for a high quality zoom with a constant aperture of say f2.8, I am sure someone on the forum could recommend something.

limit was $300, way less alternatives than fixed focal lenght

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is plenty of scope for $300, 3rd party lenses from Tokina or Tamron even af versions are well within his budget. He could probably pick up an RB 67 kit judging the prices recently on EBay, buy a film or two and get them scanned.
If however there is some sort of kudos associated with manual lenses on a digital body and the ability to use one, then a 44m would suffice for portraiture.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Rokinon 50mm f/1.7
Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.7
Fujinon 75mm f/1.8

I think you ment Rikenon ( Ricoh) not Rokinon ( Samyang).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

It makes sense especially with a DSLR .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Canon folks call that one the "nifty fifty" because it's a good lens and it's relatively cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor 85 f2.0 is a nice one....alternatively a 50mm with a tele-converter works too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you specifically looking for an older, manual focus lens, or AF? I mean, this is a MF forum, but you didn't specify so I'm just checking. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the well used enlarging lenses with bad scratches for $8.00. Laugh 1